yet another suspension problem

baldguy

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hi gang, my 88 lsc is slammed to the ground and i've been all over the net looking for remedys all i can find is the problem is a leak. but no it's not leaking i build up pressure on all 4 corners but the solenoids are not opening. probably the computer? could be ride height sensor? blah blah blah. i am to the point if i can find out if the solenoids are 12 volt i will rig up 5 toggle switches 1 for each corner and 1 for the compressor. it is just that frustrating. is there any way to test the computer before i spend $200.00 on a new one? i've had this car over a year and it is definetly my favorite car ever, plus it was free because the window wouldnt roll up fo 6 months.any help would be very much appreciated. thank you:confused:

This is not the answer you are looking for:

Conver to coils (Strutmasters). You will be glad you did!

How do you know?

...i build up pressure on all 4 corners...
How do you know you're building up pressure on all 4 corners if the car is sitting on the bumpstops? Is the compressor even running? Did this particular condition happen suddenly or were there other lesser symptoms before the car completely bottomed out? By the way, you can get a computer at the boneyard or on ebay in the 40 dollar range.

How do you know you're building up pressure on all 4 corners if the car is sitting on the bumpstops? Is the compressor even running? Did this particular condition happen suddenly or were there other lesser symptoms before the car completely bottomed out? By the way, you can get a computer at the boneyard or on ebay in the 40 dollar range.

i have disconnected the air hoses at the corners and felt the air comming out.
i put a new compressor in (the guy that gave me the car had one). and this seemed to happen over night

The car has a built-in diagnostic routine that tests each solenoid separately, tests the pump, the height sensors, etc.. no tools required.

I've posted how to do all that before with details:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=53667&highlight=pigtail

If that link doesn't work, search the word "pigtail" and posts by Elessee .. but the link works for me.

---------
Assuming the suspension was OK when you got the car...
I'm really suspicious that you just got the car and have done work on the suspension and all of a sudden, for no reason, it's acting weird. I recommend you un-do whatever you've done and do it again.

------
The window not rolling up is often caused by a broken plastic thing in the window's gearbox.. (happened to me and lots of other people) It can be repaired fairly easily (working on and inside the doors is not exactly "easy"). Instructions can be found by searching this forum..

I recall a click-click-click sound when the window motor turns and attempts to roll the window up.. and the gear was the problem.

If you have no motor running, you might want to disassemble the window switches and clean the contacts.. since the drink holder is above them they do get slimed with Coca Cola, etc.

-------------
[edit}
"...had the car over a year.. window wouldn't roll up for 6 months.. "

I needed to re-read your post a couple times.

well, i guess the window is fixed.. the suspension was ok ("my favorite car").. but you did swap compressors recently? And something happened overnight? After the compressor was changed?

Are you sure the solenoids aren't opening up? The compressor turns on first, then just afterwards, the solenoids should open up. You should hear a faint little double click. This is the front solenoids opening up.

Keep in mind that the module(brain) will only try to lift up one end or the other. Never both at the same time.

If you have a stock style compressor with a shraeder valve, try this: Put compressed air(one with big tank) in the shraeder valve within 90 seconds of turning the key on. If everything goes right, it should raise up the front, then raise up the rear. Assuming it does this, turn the suspension switch off and drive the vehicle. It WILL NOT be a super accurate leak test because the height will be a little higher than its suppose to be, but its worth a try anyway.

If the front and/or rear goes down, you have leaking air springs.....and maybe a weak compressor. Now is a good time to figure out if you want to stay with the air or to go with a coil spring conversion.

Testing, testing, is this thing on?

hi gang, my 88 lsc is slammed to the ground and i've been all over the net looking for remedys all i can find is the problem is a leak. but no it's not leaking i build up pressure on all 4 corners but the solenoids are not opening.
Welcome. Building up pressure requires a closed system. A closed system would expand at least at one of the air springs. If the car is slammed then all five solenoids are calling to be open. If there is a hole or gash or leak in the system at this point, then NONE of the corners will rise as the air escapes before building up pressure.
probably the computer? could be ride height sensor? blah blah blah.
The three ride height sensors are easy to check if you can jack up and support the vehicle and then look under the car and see if they're attached, intact, and not disturbed.
i am to the point if i can find out if the solenoids are 12 volt i will rig up 5 toggle switches 1 for each corner and 1 for the compressor.
For safety's sake, this is NOT recommended.
it is just that frustrating. is there any way to test the computer before i spend $200.00 on a new one? i've had this car over a year and it is definetly my favorite car ever, plus it was free because the window wouldnt roll up fo 6 months.any help would be very much appreciated. thank you:confused:
I need to write this up one day with pictures. For now, try this one from LOL;
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00150_a.html

Members online

No members online now.
Back