Yes....Another newb!

1BiggHunn

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I am an owner of a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC opal/opalescent.:cool: I have had it for a few years now and it has about 193,000 on her. Just a few days ago she just started to run very badly. For instance; once the temp is up, it starts to misfire like crazy, but when it cool out side, it runs like a champ and no misfires. If any one has any input on this, it would be great, since I am wits end about this! Btw... I have changed out the cop boots, new plugs, new cam position sensor, re-built the injectors, and cleaned the m.a.s. too. It started with a misfire code on 5 then escalated into 1,5 and then the last misfire codes were 1,5,6, also the live codes said lean on 1,2, banks too. I love my Mark, but dang...she needs to give me a break.

With that many miles, do you know if the coils have been replaced or are they still OEM coils?

I would check fuel pressure when it's running bad. Also change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done.

There are some of the coils that have been replaced from the prior owner I seen. I have not checked the fuel pressure when it runs bad, but I have replaced the following things though: spark plugs, coil boots, egr valve, egr solenoid, rebuilt the fuel injectors, fuel filter, replaced the air filter with a k&n, replaced the mafs, new valve covers,(the old ones were leaking oil into and on the plugs), and finally the battery and alternator. I will be checking what chargerxr and mark0101 said to check though. I did check the pcm and it was hot to the touch now, at the same time it was hot, the engine started to misfire and then rough idle then a shut down. I really don't think that the pcm is supposed to get that hot! Checked all the engine wiring and nothing was wrong. Throw some ideas at me.

You should be able to rest your hand on the pcm, so that's definitely a problem. Not sure if you have a bad pcm, or a bad ground going to the pcm. Bad grounds cause things to heat up. I can't remember right now where the pcm is grounded. Someone on here will know. If not I can look it up at work.

Members online

Back