WTF....My lug nuts!!!

QUICKSILVER_LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ok...yesterday i brought my car to Merchant to balance my tires.. and they freaking worn out my lug nuts w/ their air tool . Now it is impossible to open it..my question is ...are there ways to open the worn out lug nuts..?
i plan on buy a new set of lug nuts..i wonder what type of lug nuts used for an LS???

hmm, that seems to be a common problem for the ls, I used a regular tire iron to take them off, although I had to go down one bolt size for them to come off, and I bought 5 lugs off ebay for 6.XX bucks. But they werent listed for lincoln ls, I used the chrysler sebring lugs, although they dont look the same, but it didnt bother me, thanks to quick ls for the tip. I used these.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7940094752&category=33749&sspagename=WD1V

i broke my gorillla lug.right in half. (lockin one) had to use one of those broken nut removers..
I went to put new pads on today, and check the rotors but i couldnt get any of the lugz off, so i used a 4-way and a hammer got it on there nice and tight.. then it came off.. but couldnt get the damn key one off... so i heated it up with a torch and went at it for like 2 hrs..
I had a spare set of lugz from my civic, cause i have aftermarket rims which require longer lugz.. and they fit great, even match the others.. word of advise get rid of that lockin lug, before you get stuck somewhere and cant get it off!!

lug nuts

same problem with my 2000 LS went to change the rims and the factory lugs were welded on.i broke two studs and the factory lock,had to use a socket on the last two lugs.the only thing i was told was to be careful when tighten the lugs always use a tourqe wrench. I put a little antisieze on the stud,but i always check them.they have'nt came loose yet,been 8 months. :steering

ive had this problem for the past 2 months, i got my brakes fixed and they messed them up so they had to keep taking and putting the nuts back on. the last guy i went to said they couldnt take them off, so i took it to another midas and the guys had a tool that striped the factory nuts down 2 sizes so they could take em off and put em on. ur best thing to do is buy some new ones.

If your LS is a '00 - '02... (might fit later models):
Go to: http://www.onlinemoparparts.com/moparonline.htm and search for part number: MB579290 and select the lug nuts "From 4/1/97" These are chrome Chrysler Sebring lugnuts that will fit the LS and do not have the jacket that will buckle like the OEM LS lugnuts will. Cost is $2.76 each. Had mine for a couple years and they work fine.

lexdiamondz10304 said:
hmm, that seems to be a common problem for the ls, I used a regular tire iron to take them off, although I had to go down one bolt size for them to come off, and I bought 5 lugs off ebay for 6.XX bucks. But they werent listed for lincoln ls, I used the chrysler sebring lugs, although they dont look the same, but it didnt bother me, thanks to quick ls for the tip. I used these.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7940094752&category=33749&sspagename=WD1V
Hey Lexdiamondz,
I bought the same ones...set of 20...great deal but the shoulder is longer so they need an extra washer. Make sure you add it because the nut will be grounded and not holding the wheel properly.
Don

anyone know how much the lil key for the gorilla lug (star lookin thing) costs?

Always, always, always put antiseize on the studs before installing the lug nuts...on any vehicle. This problem won't happen again.

antiseize won't fix the issue. It is a VERY common problem with the pre-03 LSes:
- the lugs were easily rounded
- the lugs would cross-thread eventually breaking off the stud

the lugs were re-designed in 03 - look the same.

I have broken seven studs now - replaced all my lugs and haven't broke one since.

Yeah they were not made for field removal. I have not broken any studs but i did wreck they hell out of the OEM lugs when I did my first break job. I wasn't worried becasue i had new wheels and lugs coming from CDC. I found it most ridiculous that the OEM breaker bar would not remove the OEM lugs.

Thank God i was not stranded on the side of the road in the rian trying to fix a flat. I still dislike them, Lincoln, for leaving the owners to figure this out.n.

I'm having problems with cross threading to and now on my 3rd broken stud. I bought 1 new updated lincoln lug and the chrysler lug and noticed a difference. The chrysler lug ended up cross threading on me after I carefully tightened it. I don't recommend them at all, crap if you ask me.

I'll be replacing all my lugs with the updated lincoln ones here soon.

Sounds like operator error. The old lugs may have balled up the threads and the new lugs just finished off the job. Did you chase down the threads before installing new lugnuts? First complaint I've heard of regarding the Sebring lugs. Used them for over a year and had them on and off the car multiple times... no problems and definitely not crap compared to the LS's OEM lugs.

I had the same problem with my 00 and what i did the actual lug you see with your factory wheels on are just fake covers that is why they strip out so easy. I took a flat head screw drive and a hammer and hammered through the acorn cover got that out of the way and then hammered back the side and spread it out to get a socket on the inside actual lug. Hope that helps. :dancefool

QUICKSILVER_LS said:
ok...yesterday i brought my car to Merchant to balance my tires.. and they freaking worn out my lug nuts w/ their air tool . Now it is impossible to open it..my question is ...are there ways to open the worn out lug nuts..?
i plan on buy a new set of lug nuts..i wonder what type of lug nuts used for an LS???
OMG I can't believe Merchants still exists. That's your problem, don't take your car to those crooked, incompetant bastards (I lived in VA for 1.5 years long ago).

mholhut said:
Sounds like operator error. The old lugs may have balled up the threads and the new lugs just finished off the job. Did you chase down the threads before installing new lugnuts? First complaint I've heard of regarding the Sebring lugs. Used them for over a year and had them on and off the car multiple times... no problems and definitely not crap compared to the LS's OEM lugs.

It was a BRAND NEW stud.

Ohhhh OK, my bad. So you broke 2 studs with the OEM lugnuts and 1 with the Sebring lugnuts, right?

Members online

No members online now.
Back