Wrinkled rear window seal - cheap and easy 'fix'

dRock95MarkVIII

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
As most know, wrinkled rear window seal/rubber molding is a common issue on the Mark VIIIs. I got to meet Debi/MsM8tress at Carlisle this year and she explained how they all get it, and there isn't much you can do about it :(
My Mark also suffered from this, and though I've only had the car all but two weeks it annoyed the crap out of me. On my way to work yesterday I was looking at the car for a minute and came up with a cheap and easy solution to hide the problem.

I know some have tucked the seal in, and some have even trimmed off the wrinkled portion. Trimming was not an option since some of my wrinkles extended past the sheet metal seam. I tried tucking it in a little bit when I bought the car and it seemed to make it even more noticable. So I wanted to try something else.

A few months back, I purchased some door edge guard molding to trim out the bumper opening for my custom tip install on my Marquis
This stuff is only like $5 a roll, and available at any autoparts store.

I figured this would work well to slip over the edge of the rubber molding - since it is much more rigid I knew it would help to hold it straight.
So I spent 5 minutes and installed a strip of it along each side. The ends were cut at an angle to best hide the seams. The inside of the molding has a little adhesive, so it should not come off while driving. I've had this molding installed around the exhaust tips of my Marquis for months without a single issue.

Does it look factory?
Just about, close enough that most anyone would never notice it.
Does it work to hide the wrinkles?
Yes! The molding is rigid enough to keep the seal edge straight and hide most of the wrinkles.
It's not perfect, but 100% better than before.

Here are some pictures I snapped real quick, please excuse the dirt.

Before:
sta70448.jpg

Not too bad, in fact most did not eve notice it until I pointed it out or they got closer. It looked worse than the picture depicts, though. I guess mine was in the early stages of it.

After:
sta70450.jpg

sta70451.jpg

closer shot:
sta70453.jpg

Notice how the ends blend in to the corners pretty well.
I tested the seal today with a hose and it doesn't creat any leak issues.
The only thing I should mention that I noticed is if the car sits in the sun for a long time, like mine did today, the door molding heats up and becomes more plyable. As it does this, it will just barely get small little humps where the bad wrinkles are. Once the car cools off, this goes away - however it still looks WAY better even while this happens. Given the cost, and ease, I wouldn't care if I had to do it every few weeks. Those wrinkles looked nasty :tongue2:
One roll will do both sides at least 2 times over.
To install just slip it over the edge, lift up the seal as needed to get it on easier.

So, overall I'm pretty pleased with the results - little things like that annoy me and stand out like a sore thumb. I'm glad it looks better for now. The best solution is gasket/rear glass replacement, but who the hell wants to do that? :biggrin:

I will let you guys know about long term durability as well, but like I said before it's so easy to do and cheap even if it lasts a month it's well worth it to me.

since they "all get it" what causes it? mine hanst wrinkled yet

I don't know the cause either. I bought mine in St Pete about three years ago and it was faded and wrinkeld when I bought it.:eek: :eek:

Hi Hotte! how is the fix holding up with time, snow and cold? The trim on Tux is holding up well, but I got a 95 for a daily and the trim on it is pretty shot. What would be best to squelch the budding of decay on Tux's trim?

Your Mark is so friggin hot......dang I love it, still have not seen it. Your Marq. doing well still?

since they "all get it" what causes it? mine hanst wrinkled yet
count your blessings, mine's a 96 and it is just barely in the slightest of spots begining to feel a little sandy too the touch...I know it will happen. My 94 had it, and my other 96 had it, my 95's rear windshield is barely in....lol

Heat..........check I live in S. Fla, Age...............check 10 yrs. Yet mine is still perfect!!
- cause you have a convertable mustang....lol I hate to say it, but we all know it, the only plastic that lasts forever are the plastic grocery bags.

MsM8

NYC, you should see how clean his Marq is, I know under that hood is a majesty of power in "never left the showroom" condition. The "d" in dRock if for detail...he is amazing!!!

Debi

i like it man! looks great!, love the kit on it also! I used double side stick tape from 3M and put that under the rubber and pressed firmly..it worked! Its good to see how other people come up with ideas to fix the rubber. Keep it clean and on the road man!

Hi Hotte! how is the fix holding up with time, snow and cold? The trim on Tux is holding up well, but I got a 95 for a daily and the trim on it is pretty shot. What would be best to squelch the budding of decay on Tux's trim?

Your Mark is so friggin hot......dang I love it, still have not seen it. Your Marq. doing well still?
Hey!

The trim has been holding up fine through cold weather. I DID have to re-do it towards the end of summer, though. After baking in the sun the glue used in the edge trim would melt and started to ooze out the bottom some. Came right off with a shot of adhesive remover. The second time around I changed the angle of the cut at the bottom which seemed to solve the issue.

The Marq is doing well. Always some sort of project going on with it. Most recent a Mustang instrument cluster conversion which I'm working on a customized fiberglass bezel for now.
Oh, and some forced induction sitting in the garage :D

count your blessings, mine's a 96 and it is just barely in the slightest of spots begining to feel a little sandy too the touch...I know it will happen. My 94 had it, and my other 96 had it, my 95's rear windshield is barely in....lol
BEFORE it gets bad, I'd try regular application of Mirror Glaze #40 vinyl/rubber protectant or similar (just not armor-all!) to help preserve it. Many were impressed with 303 aerospace protectant as well. Your's looked pristine when I saw it, keep on top of it!

Jesus Christ, that's an incredible looking VIII. Kinda almost makes me not hate the car.
Thanks! I sure wouldn't mind having an LS like yours next to it ;)

Since that picture, I've painted the wheel wells and calipers, installed new Magnaflow tips, re-did the trunk lock emblem, changed out all rear emblems for chrome, and painted the trunk lock emblem bezel black.

Here is a more up to date shot:
sta71176a.jpg

I'm still undecided what I want to do with the car. I may look into a repaint in the future as there are still some surface imperfections I just can't stomach. It's a nice '10 foot' car, though.

You are a freak Derrick!

You have two of the nicest cars that I have ever seen, and by far the cleanest.

So whats this forced induction you speak of going on?

Thanks! I sure wouldn't mind having an LS like yours next to it ;)

Since that picture, I've painted the wheel wells and calipers, installed new Magnaflow tips, re-did the trunk lock emblem, changed out all rear emblems for chrome, and painted the trunk lock emblem bezel black.

Here is a more up to date shot:
sta71176a.jpg

Wow. Just wow is all I can say. The stance, the body kit, the blacked out trim...everything works incredibly on that car. Excellent work!! If I had one that looked like that, I wouldn't mind working on it (which is what I hate about the VIIIs and why I gave mine up) lol

im trying to understand how this was done, when I cut those rubber wrinkles, it will leave me with an open canal, now I should fill that up with the door guard molding? I saw these at the parts store and I saw my rear window and just couldnt figure out how you did it unless im looking at the wrong door moldngs?

he didn't cut his off, he just put it over what was there to help it lay flat

I have the kit for the rear window seal on order from Hal's Restoration.
Will show pics of it, when it arrives.
I did the door trim thing also, but Okla summers make the adhesive drip down the side.

Hey DRock your mark is beyond beautiful.

Has anyone been able to find a replacement rear window seal yet. The jerk I bought mine from just cut it all away and layed electric tape over the hole.:mad:
I have heard the only option is replacing the whole window but thats kind of hard to believe.

Hey DRock your mark is beyond beautiful.

Has anyone been able to find a replacement rear window seal yet. The jerk I bought mine from just cut it all away and layed electric tape over the hole.:mad:
I have heard the only option is replacing the whole window but thats kind of hard to believe.

Really believe it replace the window as the seal and window is all one piece.

I don't know of any remedy that really works yet. Haven't seen any. This thread is a few years old and if there was a great solution then we'd be seeing more post and everyone jumping on the solution.

Oh and if I'm not mistaken Debi had her whole window replace picked up one from Jamie.

okay I believe it. Im goning to try ands find something that looks decent and if not than Ill probably go with the Halls resto kit.

I have Hals kit, looks like the best fix sofar, without replacing the window.
Its not installed yet, my Mark has been in the paint shop almost forever since the guys giving me a deal on it.
I did cut off the old trim so the new paint will extend to the window cavity without the old trim getting in the way.
Will complete the kit once it returns

David

Members online

Back