Would anyone be interested?

Screw-Rice

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I am going to have to roll my rear quarters, since my 285's are rubbing. The roads around here are...crappy to say the least. So I need to act fairly quick, before the quarters eats away my new tires.Looked into renting one, but think I am just going to buy a good quality one.

Figure I would offer to you guys, a rental option. Would be cheaper than paying someone else, and much cheaper than buying one.

Post up if you're interested, and what you would be willing to pay. I was thinking $75 per rental was fair.

Only thing I ask, if you rent it from me...is do it when you have time to roll your fenders. In other words, I don't want to send it to you, and you have it for 4 weeks. If I get a decent amount of interest, just wouldn't be fair to the next person in line, to have to wait while it sits at another guy's place.

When it arrives, I will post up results on my own car first.

I will need to roll my fenders in near future. Im interested.

Cut them.
Buy this.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=75029

attachment.jpg

Best way to go IMHO

Stay sober :)

You're not the boss of me! :p

Just been on of those things I have never been inclined to do. Would rather roll, than cut. Only time I didn't mind cutting into one of my vehicles, was my Jeep. Course, I also had to fix it once with the help of an empty Vitamin Water bottle. :D

I have done both. Cutting is easier, faster and cleaner. Less chance of dammaging the fenders paint and you have more room then rolling.

That being said its $50 to rent one plus shipping.

Unless your an idiot DO NOT CUT THEM. much easier and cheaper to rent a roller. btw, pm sent.

Unless your an idiot DO NOT CUT THEM. much easier and cheaper to rent a roller. btw, pm sent.
Guess I am an idiot. But we know you are an ass. :p

I was once scared to do it like you but then I realized if you are only cutting a small portion and only doing it TO the welds and not through or past them then there is no issue. Then paint the metal with rust inhibitor and a touch up bottle of color match (even though its in a spot that will NEVER be seen again) and it works much better then rolling.

You just rolled yours, no? Didnt you crack the paint?

When I rolled mine I used a laser temp gun and did it to the letter and still got some paint cracks. Also had nowhere near the clearance I got by cutting them.

The spot welds are an integral part of the strength of the quarter panel. Many people do not realize how much of the rigidity of the car comes from the sheet metal. When you cut even any of the spot weld off you compromise that rigidity.

On any bare metal surface, like the edge when you cut yours bill, you really need to be using a self etching primer before any painting at all.

People need to realize that if you are going 275+ on the rear tires modifications must be made, unless you want to drive a 4x4 Mark VIII around.

I had good luck with my fender roller. I would not recommend cutting the quarters. just sayin.....

HRMMMMMM......................

I think Chris' fender roller is in the trunk of Mike's car...........

Are you calling me a idiot?

There is more then one way to skin a cat.

If cut before the spot welds the strength of the quarter panel is retained.
It can get too hot while cutting and damage the paint, but if you pay attention to the heat, it is easy to avoid this.
So easy a idiot can do it.

If you roll, it is easy to damage the paint "you found this out".
Not idiot proof.
You have to get the tool, source of heat, and a temp gun.
You still might screw it up.
Or get a baseball bat like the ricer's do.
Your forming a lip for road debris to get trapped in causing moisture issues.

Rust.

For me I drive my car.
I prefer to cut it.

People will choose to do what they wish.

If cut before the spot welds the strength of the quarter panel is retained.

For me I drive my car.
I prefer to cut it.

My choice also, and with Mark 8 Muscle new updated lip moldings for this very trimming, it makes it more reasonable and retains factory look.

I would think you could get more space out of rolling them since you can only cut up to the welb points but I really have no experiance with rolling them

I have done both. Cutting is easier, faster and cleaner. Less chance of dammaging the fenders paint and you have more room then rolling.

That being said its $50 to rent one plus shipping.

I would think you could get more space out of rolling them since you can only cut up to the welb points but I really have no experiance with rolling them
Read the above quote, underlined and bold just for you ;)

I would cut past the spot welds and get them rewelded...that is if you are planning to repaint the car
No need, its not that hard.

If Laser can do it, it can't be that hard :p

Wow, came back to find a debate. :lol:

Thought last time I looked it was $80 to rent, found the site and it is indeed $50. So If I get one, I would loan it for the same.

As far as trim vs roll. I only have a slight rub on the outer edge of the sidewall. So I only need a little more clearance. Not concerned about maximum clearance. If it gets to the point I need more than a 285, I will just get DR's. :D

I might however, go check out the quarter panels later, and see what all cutting would be required. Not totally against looking at all options...I'm just progressive like that. :p

Your forming a lip for road debris to get trapped in causing moisture issues.

Rust.

I would think the same applies if you cut it and use the plastic trim pieces. There's no perfect solution.

I'm torn between either way, but I need to do something. So what do you guys who cut it use? An angle grinder and cutoff wheel? I've never handled one in my life.

I would think the same applies if you cut it and use the plastic trim pieces. There's no perfect solution.

How do you figure that? If you roll it, you are creating a channel behind the rolled area and that is going to cause excess moisture from rain, snow, mud, and road debris to be trapped and hard to get out. Cutting it back and applying the same molding as new, you are creating a clean stock look. You will have to touch up the edging with a primer or color match to coat the bare metal edge, but other than that, you are creating only what was there in the first place, a nice and clean look. And no one is ever going to see the edge anyway, and would have no reason to question it as to did you cut it or not.And the trim pieces are not plastic, they are rubber formed pieces.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back