Won't shift out of park

ketyokeinnor

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well started my conti this morning and it gave me a lot of trouble shifting out of P. It seems like whatever allows you to shift when the brake is pressed isn't functioning. The problem is i have no idea what this system is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

there is an electrical interlock (solenoid I believe) that prevents shifting from park without the brake pedal pushed..

try this simple test 1st to help narrow the problem.. verify that the brake lights do indeed light when pedal is pushed (the interlock uses the same switch as the brake lights if I recall correctly). if the brake lights dont work, then most likely the BOO (brake on/off) switch, or a fuse in that circuit (there may be more than one).. Otherwise probably the solenoid itself is failed.

got it

the one brake light switch wire broke(cause i spliced into it for my remote start and just taped it like the kit said) soldered it up right this time. thanks for your help.

yeah lucky man.. last time i had problems rebuilding the transmisson fixed it

I had a trans built, and the shop either forgot to plug in a harness or they had the shift linkage in the wrong spot. I went to pick up the car on a weekend and it wouldnt move. I was pissed, i planned the whole weekend around picking up my car!

I was wrong

Its looking like the BOO is dying slowly, working on and off.(Drove hme at 2AM the other and realized I had no brakelights) Any idea how much one costs? And whether I can get one at a parts store or is it dealer only? Pepboys sells a "stoplight switch"(which i think i've heard the same part refered to as) for the conti, would it be the right part(hopefully, cause i get 20% off if it is, lol).

they may have it listed in their parts catalog as a stoplight switch.

its possibly what your looking for, it should be avail from just about any good parts store, not just the dealer.

if you have a choice as to which brand the replacement is, I would recommend NOT using Wells, I have head of many people having problems with their stuff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back