Wipe Out!

driller

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This year while on the Hot Rod Power Tour, I took the opportunity to partake in a bit different kind of racing... a road course at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit in Jennings, OK.

halletttrack800.jpg

It was a rocky start as when I arrived at the gate the attendant noted some type of 'fluid' sprayed all across the drivers side front fender! Turned out to be motor oil from a missing oil filler cap! It had to have happened just prior to arrival as we had stopped earlier at a convenience store and I did not notice anything. :eek:

I was directed to the facility's garage and I limped the car down to the garage and proceeded to wipe off the oil and found a helpful tech who scrounged up an oil cap and some racing oil.

After the minor setback, we proceeded to register for the track. A short while later we were on the start ramp and were given last minute instructions.

We were to run 5 laps on the track with a lead car (Viper) and 4 other cars (2 Mark VII's, a 'Vette and a older Mustang) besides my '96 Mark VIII. My car of course was literally loaded full and was on street tires (new GoodYear Eagle GTs). I tried to talk the Mrs. into riding along but she would not hear to it, LOL. One of the prior participants offered to ride along and I obliged. :)

Long story short... it was an absolute adrenalin rush. :D

It was however my first "track" experience and as such I made a rookie mistake and pushed the car too hard on the last lap and spun out across the track and into the runoff area. :eek:

Obviously this being my first, I know my 'form' was bad at times (actually most of the time, LOL) but I was enjoying myself to the max! :D

Link to a partial video that my passenger took...

Enjoy. ;)

Road Coarse Spin Out HRPT 2012 - YouTube

man that looks like fun. my car has been to hallet and my dad still regrets not taking his chance to borrow a helmet and make a few laps.
mom would have killed him if he crashed our ride back to missouri though. :eek: :D

I have heard of it, heard it's awesome and adrenaline pumping. I know the Mid America Shelby Meet is this week, think alot of people go to that track, and then go to the Tulsa dragstrip. Not from up north, so not sure, but I want to go. Sure they will have a ceremony for Carroll.

This year while on the Hot Rod Power Tour, I took the opportunity to partake in a bit different kind of racing... a road course at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit in Jennings, OK.

halletttrack800.jpg

It was a rocky start as when I arrived at the gate the attendant noted some type of 'fluid' sprayed all across the drivers side front fender! Turned out to be motor oil from a missing oil filler cap! It had to have happened just prior to arrival as we had stopped earlier at a convenience store and I did not notice anything. :eek:

I was directed to the facility's garage and I limped the car down to the garage and proceeded to wipe off the oil and found a helpful tech who scrounged up an oil cap and some racing oil.

After the minor setback, we proceeded to register for the track. A short while later we were on the start ramp and were given last minute instructions.

We were to run 5 laps on the track with a lead car (Viper) and 4 other cars (2 Mark VII's, a 'Vette and a older Mustang) besides my '96 Mark VIII. My car of course was literally loaded full and was on street tires (new GoodYear Eagle GTs). I tried to talk the Mrs. into riding along but she would not hear to it, LOL. One of the prior participants offered to ride along and I obliged. :)

Long story short... it was an absolute adrenalin rush. :D

It was however my first "track" experience and as such I made a rookie mistake and pushed the car too hard on the last lap and spun out across the track and into the runoff area. :eek:

Obviously this being my first, I know my 'form' was bad at times (actually most of the time, LOL) but I was enjoying myself to the max! :D

Link to a partial video that my passenger took...

Enjoy. ;)

Road Coarse Spin Out HRPT 2012 - YouTube

It looks like you misjudged the turn. Seemed as you thought it was turning left, but it ended up going right. That spin, I am sure gave you an adrenaline rush also!

You know Im more amazed about how well the MK7 was keeping with the Viper..
I owned a 92 LSC, and it always seemed nimble... always seemd to handle like a mustang.. :D
anyway it looked cool. Congrats..

Sounds like a blast
Your wipe out is better than my speeding ticket on my way back from power tour though.

Yea, in that video it looked to me like a Left was coming up, but it was a right. Driller, do you have sway bars or anything in your car? I was thinking you kind of had it tuned for straight lines.

You know Im more amazed about how well the MK7 was keeping with the Viper..
I owned a 92 LSC, and it always seemed nimble... always seemd to handle like a mustang.. :D
anyway it looked cool. Congrats..

That particular Mark VII is not quite stock and it wasn't his first rodeo. ;)

Yea, in that video it looked to me like a Left was coming up, but it was a right. Driller, do you have sway bars or anything in your car? I was thinking you kind of had it tuned for straight lines.

The video doesn't do it real justice as it was a hand held cell phone the passenger was trying to hold steady. Basically, I came out of the preceding turn out of position and too fast. The car went wide to the left and the rear end slid out. Once the rear of the car left the tarmac, it spun out across the track to the inside of the turn.

The white '96 has stock suspension and sway bars, not really set up for any specific purpose. ;)

john john having fun glad to see you doing what you want. tell the misses i said hi Mike and i are redoing the 95. don't know if he will have it driviable by the beach party but i will be there might be in a red vet.

That really looks like fun. Wish I could of made it on the rest of the trip

Members online

No members online now.
Back