Winter Wheel Refinishing

JoshMcMadMac

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of wheels on here quite awhile back with the intention of making them the LS winter wheels. They had been painted previously, and that had not turned out well so I got them relatively cheap. I finally got around to refinishing them, in much the same way as I have done previously:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=66796

The previous owner had actually somewhat followed that thread, although I think patience/experience may have been the main difference in the outcome. Here is an idea of what I started with:

IMG_0636_zpsbf4772b1.jpg

Not great pictures, but you can get some idea of the damage. I am not a fan of lots of contours on wheels, so I went to work with filling in and smoothing them out:

IMG_0674_zps45f92c8a.jpg

IMG_0675_zps700b336a.jpg

I am not great with bodywork, so I am sure that shows through. Here is the first round of filler primer:

IMG_0676_zps82e71cad.jpg

Things got better with subsequent sanding, filling, and priming:

IMG_0678_zps3bb0977b.jpg

IMG_0679_zpsdfb15166.jpg

IMG_0681_zps105da074.jpg

Things were smoothing out pretty well by this time, before the final round of sanding and filler primer:

IMG_0688_zpsc173a16a.jpg

IMG_0691_zps0d35396e.jpg

IMG_0692_zpsb01feda7.jpg

IMG_0694_zps12ea7b68.jpg

In final transition, with as much effort as I was willing to put into winter wheels before final priming and finishing:

IMG_0695_zpsd2c25d55.jpg

IMG_0696_zpscbe2c883.jpg

If you look in that last picture you should be able to make out a pile of wheel weights. Whomever balanced these things last was not suited for the job; one wheel had almost ½ a pound of weights on it! That same wheel is the one with the most weight on it now, at just under 3 ounces. The other wheels were almost as bad. :rolleyes:

The finished product, painted and clear coated:

IMG_0697_zpscd357290.jpg

IMG_0698_zps7622847d.jpg

IMG_0699_zps62b670f1.jpg

Finally, a few quick (bad) pictures of them mounted on the (dirty) car:

IMG_0704_zps05ed9bfd.jpg

IMG_0706_zps195cad38.jpg

They look pretty decent in pictures and as long as you are a few feet away from them. I would rate them as 7-7.5 out of 10 in their current shape. They could be finished out pretty nicely with a bit more patience and talent, but I got these done in a couple days with pretty realistic expectations. I think it was a respectable transition, and the car does not look too out of place compared to the summer Ultraleggeras. :cool:

Looks good! How do you expect the finish to last with daily use? I know the repainted Tucanas I have haven't fared too well as they seem to chip rather easily. When I need tires I had planned on just getting these powder coated.

Looks good! How do you expect the finish to last with daily use? I know the repainted Tucanas I have haven't fared too well as they seem to chip rather easily. When I need tires I had planned on just getting these powder coated.

It has done just fine on the Ultraleggeras, so whenever I refinished them until now. The only issue is the occasional chip when getting tires mounted, but it is a two minute process to touch it up.

awesome winter setup...products used?

Sandpaper, Bondo, Dupli-Color filler primer and wheel paint. I used a bit of Krylon primer too to try it out, as it is cheaper and easier for me to get than Dupli-Color. It worked pretty well, although that was not filler-primer so it was of limited use in this instance.

What color paint did you use? Its hard to judge from the pics. Looks good!

Dupli-Color Charcoal wheel paint. You can use any paint and it will turn out about as good for less expense, but I like this particular color and have used it several places on the vehicle already.

Aahh my old wheels. Fantastic job, Josh!

I had been meaning to ask you about them, its been so long lol

Any thoughts on centers?

Aahh my old wheels. Fantastic job, Josh!

I had been meaning to ask you about them, its been so long lol

Any thoughts on centers?

I was hoping the OZ centers would fit. Unfortunately they come in just shy at 2-5/8" as opposed to these at 2-3/4". Plus, the rear spindle sticks out on these wheels unlike the Ultraleggeras. I will have to get creative, if I get around to it.

I was hoping the OZ centers would fit. Unfortunately they come in just shy at 2-5/8" as opposed to these at 2-3/4". Plus, the rear spindle sticks out on these wheels unlike the Ultraleggeras. I will have to get creative, if I get around to it.

Yeaa i ran into that issue with a set of centers I was working on. I'm sure there has to be something useful on ebay.

I just tried refinishing a brushed aluminum rim on my wife's 2000 LS base. 0000 steel wool used to ruff up bad factory clear coat, etching primer, top coat paint & clear coat. Easily chipped or marred. Now going to strip off, use 3 stage wheel polish to bring out a decent shine & clear coat. Wife wants shiney wheels! Paint on rims not practical! Going to also look into a refinishing shop to see what is available & cost with durability the main result.

Great work Josh. Are those 17s?

Powdercoating ftw.

pcrims3.jpg

Great work Josh. Are those 17s?

Powdercoating ftw.

Yes, 17s. I considered getting them coated, but see no sense in the added expense for a set of cheap winter wheels, especially with as well as the Ultraleggeras have held up.

Those look great I think, especially with the color of the car, which is also awesome, not to many blues running around.

Damn I need a garage.

hi, do you know if these will fit on a 97 mark viii and if so how much shipped to 33762 ( clearwater fl.)

The Marks have the same bolt pattern but they use a totally different offset. Might want to take a look before making the purchase

Members online

Back