Windshield wipers not working-works with spray though.

wade0731

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My windshield wipers just stopped working one day. The weird thing is it works when I click in to spray the windshield fluid flawlessly so I wouldn't think it's the motor. It isn't the rain sensor I already tried that. Searched the forums and just haven't been able to figure it out. Any other ideas on what it could be. 02 LS V8 3.9 Could it possibly be a fuse, fuses look good but does that always mean they aren't bad?

I assume that they also don't work on the high and low settings?
Does the mist feature work?

I would suspect the multifunction switch.

By mist, you mean when spraying the windshield fluid (rainx) onto the glass then yes it works then. That is the only time it works. They do not work on high and low settings or when I switch to auto. Every once in a blue moon they will randomly go across my windshield though. That hasn't happened in weeks though.

Also this happened once before a few months back, then they started working again. Now they stopped working, if that helps any.

"Mist" is when you tap the washer button in very briefly and it causes the wipers to make one full sweep (washer is not activated and wipers don't make multiple sweeps). This used when there is just a slight mist now and then. This feature is on the gen II without auto wipers. It may not be on the gen I with auto wipers.

How did you check the sensor? Did you unplug it? Gen I does have some wiper relays that you could swap around, but I doubt that it will be a relay problem.

I was messing with the rain sensor unplugging and plugging it in. Had the wipers on as high as they could go while messing with it and my knee bumped the steering wheel column as I was unplugging the rain sensor and they started going really fast but kind of slowed down the stopped. Tried to rein-act what I did but didn't work again.

Also, it came off of the whole glass this time, I am guessing some adhesive will reattach it?

I might mess with the relays and see what's going on but it wouldn't make since that they work with pressing the washer fluid all the way in. Unless when I use the multi function switch to use just the wipers it sends the current through another set of relays?

Switched out Fuse #26 and windshield wiper relay under the hood. Is that the only relay for them? Still didn't work.

... my knee bumped the steering wheel column as I was unplugging the rain sensor and they started going really fast but kind of slowed down the stopped. ...

I think that supports that it could be the multifunction switch or the wiring to it.

It may not be on the gen I with auto wipers.

Gen 1 with auto wipers has two rotating switches and one push button on the end. Tapping the button gives you a 1-second spray with 3 or 4 wipes, holding obviously continues spray and wipe. The left rotating switch (outer), top to bottom, is: Fast constant, slow constant, intermittent, off, single sweep. Single sweep springs back to the off position on it's own immediately after releasing. The right rotating switch has the intermittent settings, as well as the Auto function (so "auto" requires left switch in Int, right on Auto)

Granted, my Auto function doesn't work... I have the sensor and it lights up, but I also have a clipped 4-wire cable behind the mirror and a non-functioning compass.

I was messing with the rain sensor unplugging and plugging it in. Had the wipers on as high as they could go while messing with it and my knee bumped the steering wheel column as I was unplugging the rain sensor and they started going really fast but kind of slowed down the stopped. Tried to rein-act what I did but didn't work again.

Almost definitely the MFS. What happened was you had the wipers set to high-speed, but the circuit was broken. You bumped the column and jostled the signal wire so it made contact. The car saw that signal, ran the wipers at the requested speed. Then, the wire disconnected again, but the wipers were up, so the car told the wipers to move at slow speed back to the resting position.

It's the same as when you leave the wipers on and go to start the car. When you pass through "run", the wipers move. When you turn to "start", they stop. When you go back to "run", they continue back to rest. Also the same as turning the wipers to High, then back to off before they finish.

My Taurus had a problem where the washer only worked with the right blinker. It has 3 wires running up into the stalk (I assume the LS has 4, at least on my Gen 1 with two rotating switches): Spritzer signal, wiper speed signal, and common. The spritzer wire was fatigued at the joint and eventually broke. Moving the MFS up for the blinker pushed the wire into the slot, regaining contact.

Gen 1 with auto wipers has ....

Yep.

Gen I:Push the control on the end of the
stalk to activate washer. Push and
hold for a longer wash cycle. The
washer will automatically shut off
after ten seconds of continuous use.

Gen II:Windshield washer: Push the end
of the stalk:
• Quickly pressing the end of the
stalk switch causes a single wipe
without washer fluid.
• Push and hold the end of the
stalk to activate the washer. The
wash cycle will continue for up to
ten seconds or until released. After release, there will be three
clearing wipes.

Usually I run it on Auto wipe but I find that with the Aquapel glass treatment, it barely needs or gets a wipe.

20130428_092650.jpg

Aquapel-glass-treatment-lg.jpg

Don't even have a need for wiper blades, highway speeds in the rain, everyone with their wipers on fast, me just in the hammer lane, no wipers at all.

works wonders: http://www.aquapel.com/Aquapel-Product-List.php
spam.gif

20130428_092650.jpg

Aquapel-glass-treatment-lg.jpg

Usually I run it on Auto wipe but I find that with the Aquapel glass treatment, it barely needs or gets a wipe.

View attachment 828471360

View attachment 828471361

Don't even have a need for wiper blades, highway speeds in the rain, everyone with their wipers on fast, me just in the hammer lane, no wipers at all.

works wonders: http://www.aquapel.com/Aquapel-Product-List.php
spam.gif

Just be careful to avoid the rain sensor. Products like that (and rain-x) wreck havoc on the sensor. IIRC, it's in the OM....

It must, I did cover it, not sure the after effects, seems alright, auto wipers do work, might not come on as often but doesn't really need to with the glass treatment on.

Aquapel real good for winter ice also, have it on my beater and doesn't take much effort to remove overnight frost ice build up.

Members online

Back