Window Tint

tda13

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, just curious what your state laws are in regards to window tint. I live in Illinois and you can have 0 tint on the front side glass.

My neighbor is a cop and I asked him about how strict they (the cops) are on it in Illinois. He said the city and county cops will not say anything, but the state cops will. He's a county cop. Told me I probably would not get a ticket, but they will tell me to remove it.

I would especially like to hear from people from Illinois. What has your experience been. Since I am painting the car, thought I would have the windows tinted at the same time.

By the way, I do not live in a big city (50,000), but the car is all black and I honestly think the black car with tint is targeted more than other colors.

T

I put 20% all around mine.

MN Law;
Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 50% of light in.

Ill Law;
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

Source; http://www.tintcenter.com/

Up here in michigan we've got almost the same laws on tint (only 4" on the windshield, allows 4" on the front sides). Last year didn't get stopped on it once. This year, been pulled over for my tint no less than three times; got a ticket for speeding (70 in a 55) and tint the one time; nothing the other two times. Funny thing about the ticket, he wrote it for the wrong year!!! Obviously, I didn't pay it.

I just tell them I bought the car in FL and its leagal down there. Then tell them you dont have the money to have it removed or redone.

I got stopped once in my own town for it, cop used a meter and said my tint only allowed something like 15% of the light in-it is supposed to be 70%, I think. I told him I bought it that way, and I felt like it made the car safer for my wife since she couldn't be seen and she drives in bad parts of Philadelphia-he told me it was ok, NOT to remove it, but added that i could get puled over at any time since it was so dark. I'm leaving it on until I am forced to remove it.

I dont drink and drive, do not speed or run lights/stop signs, so if I get pulled over, it has to be by someone who has a 'tude IMO.

I understand that it is a safty issue with cops, they want to walk up to a car and be able to see a person-I opened the windows and my hands were in plain view(it was 11 in the morning), so that was not an issue here. Also, what exactly is the difference between dark tinted windows and a van that does not have windows? Still cannot see in from the sides/back, so if my tinted window is rolled down , what is the difference? Just sayin'

I just tell them I bought the car in FL and its leagal down there. Then tell them you dont have the money to have it removed or redone.

it doesnt matter where you buy the car, if you bring it into a state where tint laws dont allow tint or dark tint, its your responsability to remove the tint . anyone can afford a razor blade, the cops could care less what your money situation is. you have the option in many states, to scrape it on the spot in front of them, or take the fine thats it.

aside from that, the law here in florida for tint limit i believe is 30%, but i take my chances, my 93 just got tinted finally 2 weeks ago and i told the tinter i wanted 5 % all the way. 4 of my mark VIII's i had done 5% limo black and never got stopped once in almost 6 years living here. there is too much drunk driving and murders here for the cops to bust someone over tint, they have real crime to worry about.

i got 45/35 n been all good my gf has same set up and she been good too... i had a friend who did 35 all around was fine until a year later when he got ticket... i had mine since january.. i live in oak lawn which is 20 min south of chicago

I'm located in Indiana and I have never had a cop say anything about my tint, I have a 2002 Mercury Sable with 17% tint all the way around with a 11 inch front window strip, and a 2003 Lincoln LS with 20% tint and a 8+ inch front window strip.

I live in Il and have tint on my front windows, it's nothing too dark, I would say it's 35%, may even be lighter though. I don't have much trouble with the cops.

Had the car 2 years been stopped twice for it. Once was a DUI checkpoint so thats up to you if it counts or not. Both times I just got a written warrning and thats all that has been said.

i just think its funny that in il you can paint the back 3 windows, but cant have ANY on the front and sides

Here in Las Vegas the law is the rears can be as dark as you want, the two front doors & windshield have to be what ever is considered to be the legal limit & the front glare strip is to only be 6". It's pretty light though. I have all of my windows limo & have never been bothered though. They don't inforce it much so I am lucky! In Cali it's different, you will get pulled over.

mike and i have the marks we have had tinted except for the front and no prob. where the police have a problem is that the people inside can see out but they can't see in. son in law happens to be a state policeman. and he likes to see his wife and kids after shift. jd

mike and i have the marks we have had tinted except for the front and no prob. where the police have a problem is that the people inside can see out but they can't see in. son in law happens to be a state policeman. and he likes to see his wife and kids after shift. jd

I agree. I have a few friends and a neighbor that are cops and say the same thing.

That's why when you get pulled over at night you're supposed to put on the interior lights and roll down all windows. Never seen of anyone get and crap for doing that, regardless of tint.

I had 20% all around on the vic, and got pulled over and had to remove it. After spending the $300 to have it put on, and then spending $150 to get it taken off tint isn't very important anymore.

I got pulled over with mine at 15 percent 3 days after i had it done. The cop said he liked the car and thought it looked good. He told me to be more careful... ie roll the windows down around cops, rears are allowed to be tinted as much as you want side fronts can only be 30 percent here in pa.

I know a guy who rolls his front windows down and then pulls the window relay so they can't be rolled back up when he is cruising in case he gets pulled over.

I know my older brother. (Illinois State Trooper, District 20)

Won't pull em over unless he feels they need to be. That could mean driving eradicaly, suspisiously blah blah blah. If anything it just gives em one more reason to stop you if they want.

He patrols Quincy quite often Tim.

mike

I had 20% all around on the vic, and got pulled over and had to remove it. After spending the $300 to have it put on, and then spending $150 to get it taken off tint isn't very important anymore.

lmao spend a summer here in florida with your mark VIII and see if you still think tint isnt important, unless you like heat stroke and skin graphs on your hands and legs florida would change your mind lol!!

In WI law is tight.. I believe it's 50% and with the light tint that already come on cars most are illegal as soon as tint is put on.

But in most cases the cops leave you alone for tint. depends on where you live and if the cops know you.

lmao spend a summer here in florida with your mark VIII and see if you still think tint isnt important, unless you like heat stroke and skin graphs on your hands and legs florida would change your mind lol!!

+1
My first year the I had no tint on the lincoln and after I got it it made driveing that state a little more enjoyable

Like mespock says, just dont give them a reason to pull you over, unless there out to get you they wont pull you over and ticket you for tint.

Trivial. Alot of cops have small dicks, and when they pull you over and you give attitude they'll harass you forever and ever after about your tint. Some will harass you forever even if you don't give attitude.

Don't harass the cops. And like said roll down fronts, turn on interior lights, and let them know you weren't trying to be offensive. 'Sir' usually helps start a conversation.

Nothing anybody tells you here will help you more than that info. I just pulled out my record, had it printed off a couple months ago. I'm up to 23 tint tickets, and I've had to re tint my car twice because they impounded it and I had to peel it off before it left the lot. None of these were in harris cty. Houston cops also, like jamie said, have better things to worry about.

I've been very respectful towards the law regarding my tint, except for the exception that I want tint on my windows, and am going to have it no matter what. And I've still run into some seriously dickheaded mofo's who have something to prove.

He patrols Quincy quite often Tim.

mike[/QUOTE]

Mike, He surley would'nt pull over a black mark with tinted windows would he??? Could you put in a good word for me?:)

Trust me I love tint, I really really love tint. I just don't have the money to be throwing money away at tickets right now. I also don't enjoy have the same one cop be a dick to me every time he sees me because of the tint.

Members online

Back