Where can i get the White Plastic Insulator between Shocks and Coil Springs?

Kool LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I ran into an issue changing the front shocks on my 2000 LS. When removing the coil springs from the shocks I noticed the "white plastic coil spring insulator" the coil spring (that sits at the bottom of the coil spring between the coil spring and the shock flange) was broken in two pieces. Then it fell off the shock to the floor and broke into 3 pieces. It was brittle. I called the dealer but they apparently don't list these little plastic spring insulators separately and he said they must come when you purchase the coil springs themselves.

Anyone ever need to replace these "plastic insulators"? If so, where you able to find them? I can't seem to find them in the drawings.

EDIT: I tried to superglue it back together but wont stay together.

Kool LS
2000 LS V8

coil spring insulator 1.JPG

insulator.jpg

Last edited:
Keep an eye out on Ebay.

Dealerships don't sell it seperately, you have to buy the whole spring. It's one piece.

Question. When switching to eibachs do you het new insulators with the springs or no?

I'm pretty sure I took those out when I dropped my LS -they were definitely broken.

Yea I definitely took them out. no noises here..

Is there any real point those have?

You may be able to get one of those used strut assemblies off of Ebay for cheap... I thought Rock Auto had them but see it's only the mounting hardware...

My mechanic friend suggested using a small piece of heater hose on the coil spring where it rides on the flange. I actually made a small plastic "gasket" for the flange the coil spring rides on to insulate it. I made it out of an old plastic engine cover (the one underneath the car to protect the bottom of the engine bay from rocks, etc.). I'll see how it works (or doesn't work) and try to post a pic of it later.

Since I was searching and came across this, I figured I would give a link in case someone else comes to this thread.

Napa has the part: NS 906991 for $8.39

Quick question while on the spring isolator...do you need one for the rear (I'm assuming yes). Can this part be used for it? Napa does not have a part listed for the rear.

These are on Rockauto.com ... MONROE Part # 906991 under suspension/coil spring insulator. they are like $6.06

Just as an update:

I got the insulators in from rock auto. I also bought a used set of coils that way I could put everything together prior to install. The rear coils end wider than the front coils, which means it doesn't fit into the clip right. I haven't received my rear shocks yet, so I'm not even sure the clip will even fit on the shock yet.

Hey, Jinx

Did you get the coil insulators worked out? I'm doing shocks next week, so want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Rock Auto

RAYBESTOS Part # 5251268 Professional Grade - front and rear upper

MONROE Part # 906991 Strut-Mate Coil Spring Insulator - front lower

So. What's the deal with these?

Two things from what I can see. First is to spread the load of the spring across the entire face of the flange that's on the shock. Otherwise you would have all the force of the spring concentrated in one small spot. Some spring manufacturers handle this by either grinding the ends of the coil so that they are flat or bending the last coil so that it's flat. Apparently Ford found it was cheaper to make a plastic insert instead.

The second is to act as a wear piece between the spring and shock so that you don't have metal on metal wear. A metal spring rubbing against a metal shock body might cause it to wear through or fail prematurely. The plastic piece wears instead and is more resistant to vibration and wear since it's more "slippery" by comparison. It's similar to how a bushing is used.

I know this thread is old and hopefully you can reply. I haven't found the coil spring isolators anywhere in Southern California. Did the universal isolators work for you?

Don't hold your breath waiting. He hasn't been here for nearly two years.

Don't hold your breath waiting. He hasn't been here for nearly two years.
I wasn't, but I can seemed to find them anywhere and figure I have noth8ng to lose. Man this white plastic isolators are killing me. I wonder if I just install them with out it what would happened. I even willing to put other struts that come build with the whole kit but I can't seem to find any for the ls

Hopefully, someone with some solution will chime in here...

Members online

Back