Wheel speed sensor input missing.......

scjmc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got the check advance trac, as well as ABS lights. I also have a nice audible warning and a message center warning. The code is for right rear wheel speed sensor input missing. I cleaned the ABS ring as well as sensor, and I also unplugged the connector and verified that the pins looked good. I still get the code, so I am assuming a bad wheel speed sensor. It could be the wiring, but has anyone had a RWSS failure? I searched and did not find any definate answers. My next question is if I replace it how important is OEM quality on this part? BWD is $66 and OEM is $100ish. Just wondering if anyone has used an aftermarket replacement...

If anyone has had a wiring harness related problem cause this issue please let me know.

Speed sensors are just hall effect sensors, so any brand should work just fine.
It's pretty unusual for them to fail, so it'd be worth double checking the wiring as much as you can.

Speed sensors are just hall effect sensors...

No, they are not. They are simple coils. The interrupted magnetic field moving by induces a current, which creates an AC sine wave signal.

Hall effects are powered electronic devices that read the absolute magnetic field. They have to be powered (so at least three wires instead of two), and they are sensitive to heat. Also, coils are much cheaper.

Thanks for the replys.... The harness is hard to follow. My car has been in Florida its entire life, so we dont have the corrosion/undercarriage damage associated with winters. I think I am going to order a replacement wheel speed sensor in hopes that it will resolve the problem. I will try to find out more routing info on the harness if I can and inspect more of it.

I got the check advance trac, as well as ABS lights. I also have a nice audible warning and a message center warning. The code is for right rear wheel speed sensor input missing. I cleaned the ABS ring as well as sensor, and I also unplugged the connector and verified that the pins looked good. I still get the code, so I am assuming a bad wheel speed sensor. It could be the wiring, but has anyone had a RWSS failure? I searched and did not find any definate answers. My next question is if I replace it how important is OEM quality on this part? BWD is $66 and OEM is $100ish. Just wondering if anyone has used an aftermarket replacement...

If anyone has had a wiring harness related problem cause this issue please let me know.

I had a rear wheel speed sensor go. Actually, when I bought the car both of the fronts and the right rear were bad.

No, they are not. They are simple coils. The interrupted magnetic field moving by induces a current, which creates an AC sine wave signal.

Hall effects are powered electronic devices that read the absolute magnetic field. They have to be powered (so at least three wires instead of two), and they are sensitive to heat. Also, coils are much cheaper.

Yup, you're right. Never heard that before I bet. ;)
Right after posting this I actually thought about it and realized it was a straight mag trigger and not a hall effect. That's what I get for trusting the Internet without thinking!

I have a new WSS from Ford on the way. I don't have the time to trace the harness, so I am going to gamble by replacing the sensor first. Wish me luck.

The dealership ordered the wrong part... New one coming in while I am going to be out of town. I probably won't get to it for a week or two now.

Due to various events I only just got the wheel speed sensor installed a few days ago. I just got back from a 400 mi trip, and everything worked the way it is suposed to. The wheel speed sensor was bad, and replacing it solved my issues. Thanks for the input all!

Members online

No members online now.
Back