What's up guys?

01lssport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Still have the LS. She is in storage till June 2009. Didn't have the heart to sell it. Going to be looking for a Nissan Skyline while in Japan to ease the pain.
L8R

awesome! Did you leave already? If not lets have a beer this weekend.

What all do you have to do to store a car that long? What do you have to drain and stuff? Just curious.

was it you that was selling your auto enginuity scan tool? if it was I'm still interested.

Storage can be as simple as draining gas or as complex as a climate controlled garage.

Most people recommend draining the gas and running it til it dies. Others recommend drain as much as you can and then adding a stabilizer. Not sure if this will work for that long tho.

They also recommend changing the oil and filter, flushing and changing the coolant, fresh ATF, brake fluid flushed and refilled. Tires off the floor, a good wash and wax and some upholstry dressing etc. Unhook and remove the battery. Squirt some engine oil into each cylinder thru the sparkplug hole, I have heard Sea Foam sprayed into the intake while running is a good alternative.

All this assumes inside storage. If outside you will need sun and weather protection if possible.

You might look into Griots Garage. They have a lot of good products and some are specifically for vehicle storage. I think they even have a technical advice crew to give you guidence.

When you get back, squirt some thin engine oil into the cylinders and turn by hand preferably, put fresh gas into the tank, maybe change the oil and filter(I would), and see if it fires up. I don't know if we can prime the oiling system, but if you find out how, I would recommend it.

Usually the biggest problem with stored vehicles is rubber parts failing, these include body seals, AC compressor seals, engine seals, tranny seals etc. Also plastic upholstry can get cracked, ditto leather. The tires might have to be replaced since they can oxidize just sitting there and you really don't want to have them blow out since often more than one will go since they all oxidize at about the same rate, been there done that.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back