whats the best year(s) crown vic to get?

The omen

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am going to be looking to get a p71 crown vic police interceptor for a winter beater and was wondering which year or years were the best to get? Any help would be greatly appreciated!:D

2005 and up...they switched to coil overs in 05, you'll be happier with it, they are kinda slow but with some mods (like any car) they can perform, a buddy of mine put down 490 at the wheels on the bottle, 385 off the bottle which isnt bad considering they're rated 260 or whatever at the crank. yeah its a 4.6 but headers have to be custom made, a mustang cai is not a bolt on, the brake booster gets in the way of dohc heads, and if you buy one used chances are you'll need to replace all the steering and suspension, rebuild the rear end, and rebuild the tranny because police beat the :q:q:q:q out of them and dont take care of them. other then that they can be fun lol.

I used to work with a former State Police mechanic, and I see you're in PA so this will be good news for you.

They beat the piss out of those cars, but the mechanics took real good care of them.

All Motorcraft parts. Oil every 5k, all other fluids every 30k (coolant, PS, ATF, and differential). Brake pads every 25k whether it needed them or not, and new fluid then too. Turn the rotors at the first pad change, swap the rotors on the second. Shocks & springs at 100k, fuel & air filters at 30k.

I can't testify how well the local PD maintains their cruisers, but you really can do ok with a Statie vehicle. I would assume there to be a State surplus auction out your way somewhere, but if not, they run it over my way just north of Harrisburg about 2-3 times/year. Should be about a ninety minute drive for you, very likely much less if you drive like I do :)

Last cruiser I bought at one of those auctions was in 2006, got a 98 P71 with 165k on the dial for $1600. Bet nowadays you could probably find an 05+ model for ~2-3 grand, and yes, I would mirror TicTacTone's sentiment about that being the ideal range of years.

Avoid 2003s, numerous bugs.

2002s are a great year all-around, no more intake issue to worry about (with factory manifold) but the timing chain guides wear prematurely on '00-'03 models. They do have the recirculating ball steering, but the front end was improved a lot in 1995, and the brakes dramatically in 1998. Watts linkage was added to the rear suspension for all 1998+ models.

'96-'01s are all pretty good as well, but if they still have the factory plastic coolant crossover intake it will burst. -'97s also have uncoated brake lines that like to rust through in nothern states. '01+ all have the performance improved 4.6 like 99-04 Mustang.

2004+ have most of the '03 bugs worked out. I wouldn't go with 2005 as the ETC tuning wasn't perfected then (though the dealer can reflash with latest calibration) but by 2006 MY the throttle response was much better.

The problem with the CV/GMQs is they seem to loose features as the years go on :wtf:
Here is a similar thread on a panther board;
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Rock96Marquis&topic=0&Search=true#Post1695472

2005 and up...they switched to coil overs in 05, you'll be happier with it,

The switch to coil-over-shocks and the rack and pinion steering was for 2003 model year.

2005 was the changeover year to the electronic throttle control with the 'new' powertrain control system, along with the new-style column and wheel.

yeah its a 4.6 but headers have to be custom made
Kooks makes direct-fit long tubes for 2003+ CV/GMQ/TC

04 all the way.... better frame and suspension, bugy 03 issues fixed, most powerfull... seriously the 04 is what I would get hands down.

Members online

No members online now.
Back