what would you do?

zmt325

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
to day coming home from work i decided to have a little fun. i left the drive @ work backed the trans down into 1st and stomped it. i white smoked the tires half way through first, @ w.o.t. dumped it into second and zziiinnnngg. :shifty: I instantly let out. :confused: slapped it up into drive and told myself "never ever again" as i coasted to the light i was in a state of contestant prayer, hoping that i did not toast my trans.

i gingerly left the light, and there it was........ no more second gear :Bang:Bang.

so here is my question...
i have a pile of stuff at the shop, in this car and in my 95. what would you do with it? what would you build? i have limited time as i am working a 60-65 hour work week and love my job. and i have NO spare money....

my initial plan was to convert the 2nd gen motor to a first gen, slap it in the 95, sell it. put my performance parts on the 93 finish painting it and enjoy..

here is the list of parts i currently have saved and a few pics of the cars

on the 93 with 130k
tokico hp blues 20k mi
all moog front end 15k mi
intrax sport springs in the front
custom cut stiff ass springs in the back
addco 1.25 bar up front
addco 1.25 bar in the back
cai with cold box
800 cfm maf
one piece dshaft
custom diablo sport chip and dyno tune
18 inch rims (that i have grown to love)
balled ass tires
custom 2.5 inch eaxust x pipe no 3rd cat no mufflers
very nice tint job
clarion nav unit
jl audio w3
jl audio j500 amp
jl audio ported box
all jl wires
interior is almost MINT 2 flaws (see below)
not a spec of rust...

the bad of the 93
bad ac compressor
the paint is DONE. but i have almost $1000 worth of sh@t to paint it
the drive seat is starting to ware
all the rubber coated stuff needs refinishing
the rubber coated trim on the drivers door panel is broken
i think it was hit in the passenger side at a young age
a rodent had its way with it. all was repaired except a small smell that i cant find

012-8.jpg

014-5.jpg

013-5.jpg

015-4.jpg

105.jpg

016-1.jpg

the 95 is a bit unknown as i have never driven it. and it has been sitting for about a year
it has
compressor less than 5k mi on it
bags f+r are arnott with less than 5k sat for 6 mo and dropped none
the suspension was rebuilt (unknown manufacturer)
the trans is a built 95 trans with a trans-GO shift kit :yuck:
3.73 gears open diff
the body is straight and paint is solid except the passenger door
the interior is mint but the leather is HARD as a rock (armor all fail)
infinity surround and a 10 year old kenwood head unit
remote start
custom 2.5 inch exhaust blowmaster 40s and no cats with an h pipe

the bads of the 95
!!!200k!!!

bad power steering pump
the motor is blown and half way out of the car
the leather is hard as a rock but no cracks
drives door panel is shot
no moon roof
no tint
i do not like air ride
arnott strutt inserts suck (2nd hand opinion)
I HATE THE RIMS but tires are brand spankin new, less than 300 mi

the main thing is i do not know what else is wrong... it is UNTRIED with 200k

014-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

012-3.jpg

012-2.jpg

the parts i have laying arround
base clear activator hardener flex pearl filler and all the tools. with no booth
this color
mercedes-glk-tuned-by-lorinser-at-2008-essen-motor-show_3.jpg

3.73 diff built by frp
kooks
98 trans and motor with 60k
separator plate and gasket for jmod
new filter for 98 trans
a relocate kit for oil filter
98 back glass (to get rid of the antenna)
spare ac compressor
spare power steering pump

at this point the black car is on a lift with the motor almost out. (long story)
what would you do?????

Last edited:
Take the best trans and put it in place of the bad one

that would be my 98 trans with 60k on it.
only problem is i need the black car off the lift before i can do the swap. it is 2 bolts from having the engine out... i have everything i need to swap the motor in it will just be next weekend and a 1 hour drive with no 2nd gear.

after typing that book and 2 hours of thinking i am seriously contemplating putting all the good sh@t in the black 95 and putting all the junk on the 93 and selling the 93. i hate to say that but it is what it is.

i am so torn, so so verry torn.. i could have the black car don in 2 days. gears headers sway bars engine swap/conversion cop jmod the 98 trans. and next weekend i have 2 days off. but my poor old 93:frown:

I was gonna say, put all the good into the 95. Interior swap or the good stuff anyway and the 98 trans. Remove the air from the 95 and put it in the 93 and put the conversion on the 95 since you don't like air. Just to make it simple, swap over to the 95 is what I'd do.

I was gonna say, put all the good into the 95. Interior swap or the good stuff anyway and the 98 trans. Remove the air from the 95 and put it in the 93 and put the conversion on the 95 since you don't like air. Just to make it simple, swap over to the 95 is what I'd do.

i would just drop the sound system into the interior. i like the embroidered seats.

and all the performance stuff under the hood plus the gears and bars. the suspension is not as easy as swapping the bags and compressor over. i cut the air lines on the 93

i am going to miss my moon roof and 200k miles scares the :q:q:q:q out of me for some reason

If the engine was taken care of, I wouldn't let that number scare me at all. I have seen some on here in the 300's and Tommy had one in the 400K range and someone stole that car. Just put the right oil in this one. :p

I thought you said the 95 had hard seats so that's why I mentioned an interior swap but really I meant a seat swap and a door panel swap but either way, put whats good into the 95 and don't let the 200K scare you.

188k on my car. runs as good as ever. 200k doesn't scare me a bit. and i love my moon roof!

If the engine was taken care of, I wouldn't let that number scare me at all. I have seen some on here in the 300's and Tommy had one in the 400K range and someone stole that car. Just put the right oil in this one. :p

I thought you said the 95 had hard seats so that's why I mentioned an interior swap but really I meant a seat swap and a door panel swap but either way, put whats good into the 95 and don't let the 200K scare you.

the engine is toast in it. the previous owner drove it with a bad oil filter adapter gasket. that is why it is on a lift 2 bolts from the engine out. i was swapping the 98 motor in it at a friends shop when his house burned down. he only had one power meter on the property and i have had no power since super bowl sunday.

i just wish santa clause would bring me a 3650 trans and everything to swap it... i am so sick of this auto. it is even his slow season

I agree with Terry. The 93 was smoking and now the trans is dead. Swap all the goodies on the 95 and RESPECT IT!! Wicked whiteviii (Elliott) has a 97 that just turned 200k this week. The motor and trans are original. Jamie j modded the trans around 180k. That car never skips a beat but Elliott doesn't beat it.

the engine is toast in it. the previous owner drove it with a bad oil filter adapter gasket. that is why it is on a lift 2 bolts from the engine out. i was swapping the 98 motor in it at a friends shop when his house burned down. he only had one power meter on the property and i have had no power since super bowl sunday.

i just wish santa clause would bring me a 3650 trans and everything to swap it... i am so sick of this auto. it is even his slow season

Ok, so that I have this straight, you have a 98 trans but it's up on a lift and there is no power for you to do anything? Get a trans jack in there and leave the motor alone. Just get the trans out and j-mod that plate and then swap it into the 93, along with the electrical internals from the 93 trans. You'll love the 98 with the j-mod. Manual shift all you want with that one. Pre 98, they don't like it as you found out.

Ok, so that I have this straight, you have a 98 trans but it's up on a lift and there is no power for you to do anything? Get a trans jack in there and leave the motor alone. Just get the trans out and j-mod that plate and then swap it into the 93, along with the electrical internals from the 93 trans. You'll love the 98 with the j-mod. Manual shift all you want with that one. Pre 98, they don't like it as you found out.

no the black 95 with the blown/bad motor and 200k is on the lift. and that lift is the only one i have... the 98 trans and motor are on the floor motor and trans have like 68k on them

016-5.jpg

The 98 trans is from Cadillacman's car. (the car he just parted out) It's not installed in anything at the moment.

and the engine in the black 95 is scattered, trash, blown and toast
aka bad main bearings, beyond knocking boat anchor

but i have everything to convert the 98 engine to 1st gen

Could you take the 95 trans and install it in the 93? That will get you back on the road. Then drop the complete 98 drivetrain in the 95.

the 95 trans is in the air on the 95 and the only place i have to do the swap is on that lift.

i think i am going to put the 98 motor and trans in the 95 and put the 95 trans in the 93 dump all the performance stuff in the 95 and sell the 93. i only need one. i will use the paint on my bmw

i only live 1.25 miles from work so i can get back and forth until next weekend. 2 days off and power will be back on next weekend

Now I got it.

Are you still having the smoking issue with the 93? If you are, try the change of oil from 10W30 over to the 5W30 FS and put the 98 trans in there until you are able to have time to play with the 95 and swap over to it. If the white smoke is only coming out at WOT, the fresh oil might fix it right up but stay off that pedal for a little while. You can do the trans swap in the floor with jack stands. I done it in my garage with the 94. It helps if you have two people though. the j-mod is simple and the electrical internal swap is easy also. If you can get the 95's trans down, you can get the 98 trans ready while you still limp around in the 93. Take the internals out of the 95's trans and put them in the 98 while you sit on a block and it's upside down. Makes things much easier that way.

Sounds like a plan. That gen II drivetrain should last a long time!

i am just sad as hell about throwing the 93 away it has been a great car up until the last week. plus i am to blame not the car. poor thing, i beat it to death. i beat on my old bmws WAY harder and WAY longer. with no fail.

the 95 trans is in the air on the 95 and the only place i have to do the swap is on that lift.

i think i am going to put the 98 motor and trans in the 95 and put the 95 trans in the 93 dump all the performance stuff in the 95 and sell the 93. i only need one. i will use the paint on my bmw

i only live 1.25 miles from work so i can get back and forth until next weekend. 2 days off and power will be back on next weekend

I like that better but get a tune because you will notice a power loss with the 98 engine.

I like that better but get a tune because you will notice a power loss with the 98 engine.

if i swap
intake manifold
imrcs
entire harness and sensors
1st gen kooks
off the first gen motor to the second gen motor what would be the difference?

then all that is left is
then i just swap
bars
tracloc diff
cai
maf
d shaft
and voula 48 hours of nonstop work and one nice car

None. I was taking it as a simple swap over to the 98. If you're doing all of the other to it, you'll have a gain I would imagine.

yeah i dont think it would even run without a obd2 to obd1 swap. but i do want to keep the cop setup.

ok so it is a plan 48 hours of hell and all will be good. i work at a stealership and i think i can get the colors on parade guy to paint the door for like 2 or $300

poor old 93 it is going to be a pig when i am done

Members online

Back