What size socket do I need for axle nut?

mharrison

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my rear wheel hub assembly due to a bad bearing. What size is the axle nut on the end of the axle shaft? I've got to take it off and don't have a socket that is quite big enough.

Do you have to peel off the metal retainer that is wrapped around it or does that come off with the nut?

Let me know. I'm on jackstands and need to go buy a socket for this.

I think it was a 32mm or 34mm. Yes the metal retainer should be broken off. DO NOT try using the same nuts when you get this one off, It looks like a single nut, but mine at least, was 4 small ones, they all strip once pulled off. Make sure you buy new ones before you do this job. I pulled mine off on Saturday afternoon and my car was out of commission until Moday when the dealers opened back up.

Well, I've got a 32mm but it isn't deep enough! Jeez. Now I've got to go get a brake caliper compressing tool for this caliper, then put it back together until I have a socket and a new nut!

Do you know if I'll need anything else in this process? (Not tool wise, I'm pretty good on everything except GIANT sockets!) Is there anymore one time use hardware in here?

mharrison said:
Well, I've got a 32mm but it isn't deep enough! Jeez. Now I've got to go get a brake caliper compressing tool for this caliper, then put it back together until I have a socket and a new nut!

Do you know if I'll need anything else in this process? (Not tool wise, I'm pretty good on everything except GIANT sockets!) Is there anymore one time use hardware in here?

You dont need a caliped compressing tool, use a big pair of vice grips or pliers and twist them back in clockwise, they screw in. No other one time tools that I know of. The new nut is VERY important, the old one (4 small ones) will completely strip once they come off.

I must confess, I tried a big pair of channel locks, then I bought the cube tool which is a complete POS. Both of those would turn it, but it didn't seem to be compressing. Then I bought the $40 Harbor Freight caliper tool set and I took about 2 minutes!!!! It comes with about all of the adapters you could imagine. It will work on my LS, my wife's BMW, my son's Eclipse, and my daughters Blazer.

I highly advise not bothering with the other methods as I found them REALLY frustrating.

All this just to put it back together until I can get a axle nut from the dealer !!!!

Members online

Back