What should I pay for a '64 Continental?

FiveFlat

LVC Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has a '64 continental. All original - been covered and sitting in his garage for the last 10-15 years.

Sky blue with black interior. I have NO idea what it should be worth. Any suggestions?

-----------------
www.sheldonsemon.com
new site new content new members?

FiveFlat said:
My neighbor has a '64 continental. All original - been covered and sitting in his garage for the last 10-15 years.

Sky blue with black interior. I have NO idea what it should be worth. Any suggestions?
Need more info on the condition of the car. I'm assuming its suicide doors with the convertible top. What engine is it? Why has it been sitting for so long?

Jibit said:
Need more info on the condition of the car. I'm assuming its suicide doors with the convertible top. What engine is it? Why has it been sitting for so long?
Hard top. Suicide doors, excellent condition. Been sitting because it was my neighbor's dad's car and He's not interested in driving it.
I've heard that there are sometimes issues with getting a car running after it's been sitting for such a long time - is this true?

FiveFlat said:
Hard top. Suicide doors, excellent condition. Been sitting because it was my neighbor's dad's car and He's not interested in driving it.
I've heard that there are sometimes issues with getting a car running after it's been sitting for such a long time - is this true?
Yeah sometimes the motor locks up. It hasn't been started at all? Try turning it see if you can turn the crank by hand (doubt it). What size engine, 390? 428? 460?

You'll have to prime the engine w/ oil so you dont dry startup

Last edited:
I would agree, the best way to start an old engine is to prime the oiling system.

This can be accomplished by removing the distributor and inserting a distributor shaft, without drive gear, into the oil pump drive. Chuck the shaft into a drill motor and turn at low rpm. This will fill all of the oil passages and will also lubricate the rings.

Let the engine set overnight and prime the system again. Reinstall the distributor, use a fresh battery, and give it a try. If it starts, let the engine warm up and change the oil immediately. Oil builds up moisture and acids that you don't want floating around for very long.

Jibit said:
Yeah sometimes the motor locks up. It hasn't been started at all? Try turning it see if you can turn the crank by hand (doubt it). What size engine, 390? 428? 460?
It's got the 390 in it.
What do you think I oughta offer him for it?

You sure its the 390, not the 430. The 390 was mostly a Tbird engine but ford switched engines around about that time.

It really depends on what he was hoping to get for it, if it starts. Check for white smoke, i know the 430 was known for bad rings in the 70's. How is the interior condition? What is the mileage??

Check www.kbb.com

A 64 conti convertible was going for 10k clean with minor amount of miles
a hardtop i believe was going for around 6k, but that depends on condition and if it was running, and whether or not you would feel comfortable with that.
also check www.traderonline.com andd see what the majority of the 64's are going for. I like the interior of the 64 better.

Keep us posted.

I would say that if you have the opportunity to buy a 1964, then you should do it whatever the condition, because you can always restore it. I would go to NADA.com and put in the options and see what that tells you for average condition. Offer him something a little bit lower than that then argue your way up.

But here's your chance to get into a 1964! Go for it, no matter what. I bought my 77 for $1200. It has a bad tranny, bad exhaust, bad carburator and needs some seals replaced in the engine and a knocking rod adjusted...and new spark plugs... but it was all worth it to me, just to be able to get myself into a 77. That's the year I wanted above all other Lincolns. My point is: you will have opportunities to fix it later, when will you have another opportunity to get another 64 without paying like 30-40k for one?

Go for it!

I bought mine in very nice condition with 98k original miles on it for $5000 like 3 weeks ago. I spent a year and a half looking for a black 63 with red leather interior. I looked and looked and gave up and will driving around I happened to find a black 63 with red leather interior. I would have been will to buy it for $9k if i had to. My point is your lucky to be near a car like that and for it to be for sale. Price at this point is not a huge concern if this is the car your looking for as long as the price is resonable.

EDIT: I have a 430 in my Cont. so I'm pretty sure you will have a 430 also, but dont take my word for it.

Members online

Back