what is that vibrating noise when coasting in cold weather?

Scallywag

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a topic about this before but must not be using the correct search credentials to bring up the result.

In any event, the BA has recently developed a noise that occurrs when I let my foot off of the throttle during the extreme cold weather. I can only describe it as a vibrating-like noise, similiar to putting a card against a spinning fan blade. The noise tends to go away once the car is completely warmed up even tho I warm up the Mark for 15 mins before taking off.

I think it was mentioned in the thread I'm looking for that it is the torque converter.

I'd appreciate if someone could enlighten me as to the How, Why & What to do.

Spanks!

sounds like torque converter shudder....try changing the fluid from the converter and trans and getting a new filter...it might help or it might make it worst....but nonetheless if you're having this issue its a problem waiting to happen.

Torque converter shudder. You can drain and replace the fluid with Mercon V and see if it goes away. It might also make it worse. If you want to be lazy and cheap and just save up for a new-used transmission if yours is getting on in miles then I would also suggest trying "Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx Friction Modifier" or Lucas' Stop Slip. I've personally used these two and they can buy you quite a bit of time, situation depending of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-19610-Instant-Friction-Modifier/dp/B0002JMLQU

http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10009-Transmission-Fix-oz/dp/B000ARTZPO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I am lucky I guess, I have 195K on Abe and have never done anything with the tranny, never had it flushed never did anything but assume the oil change guys check and fill, but other than that Gen 1 tranny

Thanks a lot guys for the insight and supplying the correct term!!

I searched a bit more and came across this Common Problems section on TCCOA and it turns outs that the BA may have the 1-2 Accumulator problem as I have recently been experiencing "weird" shifts from 1-2.

I first noticed the BA making that noise during last year's extreme winter, went away during the warmer seasons and back again only during the few days that were sub-zero temperatures so far. Prior to this years sympton the BA had experienced a few times during '14 where it struggled to kick into 1st & dragged to go into 2nd before making smoother transitions from there on forward after the initial takeoff.

I attribute it to the fact that I usually drive with O/D Off rather than On and assumed that I might've damaged the tranny since I rarely let it go past 3rd. Once I go past 65mph I'll think about turning it back on to let 4th kick in and relieve 3rd. Is why I say I might have the 1-2 Accum problem.

In either case both the K4 & BA need to get JMODDed and so now I suppose I have more reason to do that as well.

Thanks again!! :)

Members online

Back