What is aluminum?

Pef85

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was just wandering what all is aluminum on a V6 manual car. Block, Heads, Oil Pan, and anything else any one knows.

The trunk lid and some of the front suspension components are aluminum. Easy to spot the suspension parts, they look like aluminum, not dark like steel.

Probably some other bits and pieces but I think those are the big ones.

Jim Henderson

262 lbs. on the V8, front fenders, hood and trunk. numerous suspensions part.

haha, o ok...when i saw the topic i thought you were asking what aluminum was- not what parts were made of aluminum.

haha, o ok...when i saw the topic i thought you were asking what aluminum was- not what parts were made of aluminum.

Aluminium or aluminum a silvery and ductile member of the poor metal group of chemical elements. It has the symbol Al; its atomic number is 13.
Aluminium is found primarily in bauxite ore and is remarkable for its ability to resist corrosion (due to the phenomenon of passivation) and its light weight. Structural components made from aluminium and its alloys are vital to the aerospace industry and very important in other areas of transportation and building.

dictionary definition of a word on a post was hilarious to me because i don't know if it was done as a joke or not (no offense)

Aluminum weighs 1/3 that of steel. 165 lb/ft3 VS 480 lb/ft3. T6 has a tensile strength of 100k Psi as long as you don’t weld it, then the strength is 1/2 unless you re-anneal it. Ordinary steel is about 100k Psi tensile. while High Strength steel is about 150k Psi.

Any one ever had any luck filling aluminum , and if so what type of filler . I just dented my F^%#^%#^%#^% hood

Any one ever had any luck filling aluminum , and if so what type of filler . I just dented my F^%#^%#^%#^% hood

If the paint isn't damaged take it to a paintless dent repair place. They'll un-dent it for you without needing filler.

Back on topic,
The front brake calipers on Sport (and higher) models are Aluminum, and the rear calipers are too, starting in 2002.

Rear Calipers Are NOT Aluminum!

They were suppose to be part of the 500 improvements for the 2003 model year. They did not make it to production. Check the rear calipers with a magnet. On my 2003 V8 Sport and ALL the other ones I have found are steel. The fronts are very nice dual piston Aluminum calipers.

They were suppose to be part of the 500 improvements for the 2003 model year. They did not make it to production. Check the rear calipers with a magnet. On my 2003 V8 Sport and ALL the other ones I have found are steel. The fronts are very nice dual piston Aluminum calipers.

Thanks for the correction. I will check them with a magnet on my '06.

alumirust

Here's something bizarre - I know the trunk lid is aluminum because I couldn't get my GPS antenna to stick with it. The interesting thing - i have a couple of little rust bubbles starting on the trunk, 2 to the left of the DS tail light and 2 on the top of the hood. Correct me if i'm wrong, but aluminumn, not unlike stainless steel, can only get surface rust that should be easily cleaned off. With paint over the aluminum it shouldn't be able to rust at all. Has anyone else run into this? It is deffinately rust, but it's not showing through the paint yet...

Are you sure it wasn't painted once before you got it, like maybe it was in a unreported accident and wasnt cleaned and prepped correctly before paint?

Has anyone else run into this? It is deffinately rust, but it's not showing through the paint yet...
I haven't run into it, but it is a known issue--there is a TSB on it. If you have access to AllData, you can look it up; I don't remember which one it is, or what sort of coverage Lincoln was extending on it.

Found it: it's TSB 04-25-1, ALUMINUM CORROSION - SERVICE TIP. '00-'04 LSes are listed as affected vehicles.

Members online

Back