what does a worn idler pulley sound like??

BlackLS06

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a sort of ticking on cold startup. Already replaced the belt tensioner and the belt a few months ago. And this only happens when it's cold out and goes away after a few seconds.

I can put up a video tomorrow. Ideas??

What kind of oil are you using?
What brand of oil filter?

Both are Mobil 1 and the oil is synthetic.

Is the weight 5W20 or 0W20?

I ask about oil and filter because usually a sound at startup that goes away in just a few seconds (five or six or less) will be related to oil starvation in the top of the engine.
If your ticking sound is really lasting several seconds, then it's probably something else.

may be an alternator bearing going as well. you can use a stethoscope or long screw driver to check the bearings (space permitting) and notice for noise

Is the weight 5W20 or 0W20?

I ask about oil and filter because usually a sound at startup that goes away in just a few seconds (five or six or less) will be related to oil starvation in the top of the engine.
If your ticking sound is really lasting several seconds, then it's probably something else.

It's 5w20. It only does it in the winter when its around 50 degrees or cooler. In the summer there's no ticking at all.

A bad bearing in a pulley/alt sounds like rain on a tin roof. I've never seen one go bad where it sounded like ticking.

Mine has a slight tick to it somewhere too that reminds me of a collapsed lifter oddly enough. I finally figured out it was a noisy injector somewhere. If I run a bottle of Lucas fuel cleaner through the tank, it quiets down for a little bit.

An exhaust leak can also sound like a tick.

Could a bad seal on one of my vct sensors cause it??

I need to pull the valve cover off and replace the oring...but its a very minor leak and i checked my oil and its full all the way and still 2500 miles till the next change is due.

car runs fine and smooth...im not really concerned its just a bit annoying being such a newer car.

Update.

I popped the hood and looked at the engine after cold start and saw the obvious culprit. The belt tensioner actually moves slightly left and right, first fast then slow untill it stops moving and as it stops the sound goes away.

Seems odd since it was replaced a few months ago along with a new belt. Could it have went bad already? I can also hear what sounds like a dirty nearing noise during idle but none of the tapping.

Update.

I popped the hood and looked at the engine after cold start and saw the obvious culprit. The belt tensioner actually moves slightly left and right, first fast then slow untill it stops moving and as it stops the sound goes away.

Seems odd since it was replaced a few months ago along with a new belt. Could it have went bad already? I can also hear what sounds like a dirty nearing noise during idle but none of the tapping.

Take a look at your damper pulley (when it's cold). Is the outer part of it jumping around enough that you can see it moving? If so, that's why the tensioner is rocking so much.

I have a sort of ticking on cold startup. Already replaced the belt tensioner and the belt a few months ago. And this only happens when it's cold out and goes away after a few seconds.

I can put up a video tomorrow. Ideas??

Mine does the exact same thing. It started the day after the belt was replaced. It doesn't do it when it is warm outside but now that is is cold again, it does it every morning. It goes away after like 3 seconds. It has to be something with the belt/pulleys.

I only saw the tensioner moving all the other pulleys looked find but I'll take another look again.

Mine does the exact same thing. It started the day after the belt was replaced. It doesn't do it when it is warm outside but now that is is cold again, it does it every morning. It goes away after like 3 seconds. It has to be something with the belt/pulleys.

Yeah it's the belt and pulleys which is a good thing but it's annoying to have a newer car making more sound on startup than someone's old 91 beater next to me.

Does it sound something like this?

th_video-2011-10-31-07-15-45.jpg

I already know i have Belt/pulley problems. The sound lasts for a min or so until the engine warms up. If the engine warms up a lot then i hear this.

th_video-2011-09-29-21-15-27.jpg

I think im gonna let the dealership take care of this repair. Hopefully Premium coverage will apply.

Anyone find a fix for this? Mine does this as well. A new belt is in the near future for me anyway. Just wondering if there is a specific replacement for this so I can take care of it while im in there.

Also currently expierencing this issue. And also had it on the last one. But the last one got fixed under extended warranty. It was something wth the belt/pulley. This new one though I do not know how Long I'm keeping so I have no warranty for it. I'm going to investigate it this weekend. It is really annoying.

Anyone find a fix for this? Mine does this as well. A new belt is in the near future for me anyway. Just wondering if there is a specific replacement for this so I can take care of it while im in there.

If your sound is like the second video, then replacement of the tensioner and belt will probably cure it.

Not like the videos. From the inside it sounds like something is knocking on the firewall (or other surface). It is slow (about once per second). When I get out of the car it sounds like something is clicking back and forth, or opening and closing. It kind of has a suction sound to it. It only lasts 10 - 15 and then slows right before it stops. It is difficult for me to describe as this morning was only the second time it has done it this year. Only seems to happen for the really cold morning start ups. I leave before the sun comes up as well so I couldn't investigate. I guess I'll have to bring a flashlight out with me from now on. Anybody else think my description sounds familiar?

Not like the videos. From the inside it sounds like something is knocking on the firewall (or other surface). It is slow (about once per second). When I get out of the car it sounds like something is clicking back and forth, or opening and closing. It kind of has a suction sound to it. It only lasts 10 - 15 and then slows right before it stops. It is difficult for me to describe as this morning was only the second time it has done it this year. Only seems to happen for the really cold morning start ups. I leave before the sun comes up as well so I couldn't investigate. I guess I'll have to bring a flashlight out with me from now on. Anybody else think my description sounds familiar?

It's the same thing mine does if you see the belt tensioner moving left and right as you hear the sound.

And what puzzles me is that they were both new.

FYI for anybody who has this cold start issue...do not wait like i did.

Mine ended up slipping the belt off and shredding it into the tensioner on a cold start about a week and a half back. car is still sitting there parked outside...hopefully it will be fixed sometime this week.

You might also have a sort of loud bearing noise while the car is at idle in non-freezing temps. This is another sign that the pulley is failing.

There is a TSB from ford saying to replace the idler pulley if you have a belt slap noise for up to 10 seconds in freezing temperatures. Its only a $30 dollar part and can save you a major headache.

And if you haven't done so i would recommend you get the tensioner and V-belt replaced as well since you will already be in there.

Another thing to note is that the motorcraft replacement belt is actually Jaguar branded.

Members online

No members online now.
Back