What are the best spark plugs for the Job??

DUVALINCOLN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I called car shop and qouted $250 for tune up. I'm thinking about doing my own tune-up since my 2004 Lincoln V-8 LS is about at 100,000 miles. What would be the best sprak plugs for great performance and value? Is there a difference between using the Plat 4 , 2, and 1 spark plugs besides only the 1 requires gapping? Any tips for changing spark plugs smoothly? Thanks LVC

I used Autolite Coppers, cheap and better performance wise but you have to change them more often, about every oil change.

I agree with the above. You can also try the Autolite XP for longer change intervals.

NGK makes a really good Iridium plug for the LS if you dont spending $9 a piece and the last longer.

I just installed NGK Platinums. they work just fine, but I did have to gap them. no big deal though. I can't comment on longevity though. I think I paid 23 bucks for a set of 8 from carquest.

I used Autolite Coppers, cheap and better performance wise but you have to change them more often, about every oil change.

You either need to change your oil more often, or ease up on the spark plug changes! :D

NGK makes a good platinum plug for ~$3 at the parts store. It makes for a good replacement that does not have to be changed as often as copper, especially since the car came with platinum plugs.

As for doing it yourself, it is pretty easy. The toughest part is the screw on the driver-side coil cover by the brake booster. That takes a bit of creativity to get off.

OEM plugs, they are made by NGK, the Lincoln LS was tuned around.

Try the TECH ARTICLES at the top of the page for replacement.

I've read that the OEM plugs are actually NGK platinums. Probably just pre-gapped.

Wow this is all great information i can use. So has anyone used the spark plugs that come with the two or four pieces at the top? Man LVC, you really make it seem like it is pretty easy to do this tune up. What kind of tools will I need?

I have NEVER heard of spark plugs wearing out at every oil change. WTF? Can you post a pic of your worn plugs that youve changed each oil change? If they are in that bad of a condition that they require changing, you have an engine tune issue that needs addressing.

I swapped my OEM originals out around 75k miles or so..used Bosch Platinum and havent had any issues at all

You either need to change your oil more often, or ease up on the spark plug changes! :D

Well I actually just changed them for the first time at 60K, planning on changing them every 5K with the oil change.

I have NEVER heard of spark plugs wearing out at every oil change. WTF? Can you post a pic of your worn plugs that youve changed each oil change? If they are in that bad of a condition that they require changing, you have an engine tune issue that needs addressing.

Thats how copper plugs work, they arent made to last 50K miles. Engine runs fine, they just wear out easier because of the material.

OEM plugs, they are made by NGK, the Lincoln LS was tuned around.

Try the TECH ARTICLES at the top of the page for replacement.

NGK does make the OEM plugs for motorcraft. The irridium ones are better plugs. The ones I got were about $8.00 a piece and worth every penny.

are you going to change the coils? or just the spark plugs?
my coils are good and i want to change the sparkplugss to i have them for 20 000 miles lol, and they still ok but i want to change them, i have a missfire in cilynder 3 but my car runs perfect, just planning of changing the spark plugs only. but everyone suggest to change coils too, what are you going to do, just sparks?

I actully had the dealership change the coils b/c of a factory recall not too long ago so I planned on only changing the spark plugs since the car is at 98000 miles. I was planning on using the Bosch Platinum 2 or 4 E spark plug. Any thoughts?

I actully had the dealership change the coils b/c of a factory recall not too long ago so I planned on only changing the spark plugs since the car is at 98000 miles. I was planning on using the Bosch Platinum 2 or 4 E spark plug. Any thoughts?

Bosch is the only plug brand that I have ever had trouble with (on another car). I'll never use them again.
I'd stick with the OEM plugs. The fragile COPs were designed for them.

Members online

Back