What Amp Should I Get?

mlschultz

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was at Best Buy yesterday looking for DVDs, and came upon this open item in the car audio department - two Sony XS-L126P5 12" subs mounted in a center ported enclosure for $69 bucks. :eek:

I had to bring it home with me, just because. :)

I have wanted a sub for the longest time, but it always got pushed aside for other things. I just want a little bump, not to compete or anything like that. I think this thing will fit in the trunk. The box is 14.5"h x 32"w. The Mark is at Aric's now, so I have no idea what the measurement is for the space in the trunk, but I thought I have read that people are able to fit 2 12's in the space.

Anyway, I am now looking for a amp. I did some reading on the subject, and think a Kicker ZX1500.1 amp will get the job done. Here is the info on the speakers and amp. What do you think?

Speaker

Amp

Here's the sub's:

DSC02720.jpg

well for starters id put all the screws in. the subs are rated 380w rms and 1300w peak @ 4ohms. rms is like your "idle" wattage and we all know what peak is, so try and find some amp thats close to that. dunno too much about kicker anymore (im rocking mtx equipment from the late 80's lol so im a lil out of the loop) im sure laser or nolimit will be able to shed more light on this for you

Way to Much power. The speakers run at 4 ohms and are single voice coil, the amp runs at two oms, which means you would have to bridge single voice coil speakers, which makes it easier to destroy (blow) the speakers. Go for an amp that has a rating of 400 watts at 4 ohms or 200 watts at 2 ohms. Your are 380watts a piece, so you want an amp that gives off about the same or less.

Thanks Everyone, for your input. I just ordered a 2010 Kicker ZX750.1 amp. Here are the specs:

ZX Series Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating (14.4V):
4 ohms: 375 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 750 watts x 1 chan.
High efficiency MOSFET power supply
LED power and protection indicators
Remote bass level input (Kicker 10ZXRC remote level control included)
Tuned Bass EQ (0-18 dB bass boost at 40 Hz)
Preamp RCA outputs
Muting circuit cancels out unwanted noise
Boost, gain, and crossover frequencies are top-mounted for easy access
Balanced differential inputs for noise elimination and factory-radio compatibility
3 Automatic turn-on modes (remote, DC offset, signal sense)
Optional edgy vinyl skins for personalizing heat sinks available
High-density convection heat sink for extreme heat dissipation
Gold-plated RCA level inputs
Gold-plated screw terminals
Input sensitivity:
Low level: 125mV-5V
High level: 250mV-10V
Variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
High-pass subsonic filter (24 dB at 25 Hz)
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
Frequency response: 25-200 Hz
Dimensions: 14-11/16"L x 9-5/8"W x 2-1/8"H

Took The Mark up to Area 41 Stereo today, to have them look over the subs and amp and what will be needed for the install. The sub box would not fit under the package shelf without removal/modification of the package shelf rack.

They suggested a custom built enclosure that will fit up in there nice against the back seat by making the box angle down towards the back and having the front ends of the enclosure butt up to the sub face plate rather than on top of the face plate as they are now. Or, tilting the subs is another way to save space.

I decided to have the custom box built using the Sony subs. They will build the box and install next Wednesday. The box will not be ported, because from what I have been told, a ported box will not provide tight bass, but more of a booming bass. I mostly listen to rock/metal music, and booming and a bumping is not what I am looking for. :) The quote is $250 for the box, and $200 for the install including wire/fuse materials. He is going to do his best to hide everything to keep the sleeper theme going :)

lol Well... Like everything on this car, I am in overkill mode now getting some sleeper/stealth like stuff done to the trunk now. :)

I am going to have a wall built to hide the sub speakers from view when you look into the trunk. The speakers are going against the rear of the back seat.

The Kicker amp is going where the stock cd changer and cover are now, and a enclosure with a door is going to be made to conceal the Kicker amp. On the passenger side, same general area, the Kenne Bell Boost a Pump is going to get the same type of enclosure.

At least that is what I discussed on the phone with them a few minutes ago. We will see when it is done tomorrow.

When done, all that should be visible when you open the trunk is the fire extinguisher that is currently mounted in that small space between where the stock cd player location is, and the spare tire well.

Members online

Back