What A Toolbag...

Turboguy

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
As in, I need a new one :) Also posted in general forum too...

I'm working on basically the entire family's cars at this point, about 3 times a week. Might as well add shadetree mechanic to my writing business card...

Anyway, I currently have a car wax zip-up bag I got as a gift. It's crammed full of sockets, impact sockets, gear wrenches, end wrenches, general tools like pliers, specialty tools like voltmeters, etc. And every time I open it, it takes 15 minutes to find the tool I need.

Can anyone recommend a large, unzip and fold-out bag with pouches, etc. that actually hold the tools/sockets for you, and would fit well in the trunk?

I hate tool bags, my dad is a contractor and has about 50000000 of them (exaggerated) but you get the idea. you will hate having to dig for tools.

I recommend a hard box. I have an old rally box I use occasionally. I also have an extra mechanics set that stays in the case in stead of one of the chests for times I need to repair things at other peoples houses as well as a smaller jack.

Bags don't work. Hard box better. Sears has a lot of choices. Worx makes a lot of hard box sizes. AWP makes a lot of bags for light weight things..
Pawn shops have boxes with a few tools in them cheap. Harbor Freight & Northern tool good place to look. Tractor supply also. I have a small emergency tool container in all my vehicles and 4 roll arounds in garage. Emergency tool set depends on V6 or V8 for a few tools different, basic tools same. Walmart has a nice flat tool box with generic tools in it. Harbor freight also. On sale now at HF $39. Good luck!

I have a couple of Toughbuilt tool bags that I use as range bags.

they make a bunch of different shapes and sizes. they are tough as hell and hold up well.

most have plenty of different pockets

I suggest

img_4140_10702184.jpg

img_4140_10702184.jpg

GRELL ....I told you to stop taking pictures in my garage. Damn...now everyone knows what's in there

Mixed feelings on a tool bag kept in the trunk. Craps going to rattle and I'm a bigger fan of keeping the stuff in the garage and only loading what I need in a bag for the job I'm doing if it's offsite.

I'm a professional mechanic, we work off the back of 3 wheel Taylor Dunn electric carts in a 1.2M square foot factory and I run a 4 drawer metal box with the essentials to do my job. Keeping the drawers organized keeps the tools from rattling or getting too mixed up.

I got tired of running through a large tool box, so now have my tools in multiple hard boxes. And, they are separated by type. Have a box for 3/8 sockets, 1/2 sockets, 1/4 sockets, metric wrenches, SAE wrenches, ect. I also have several boxes for specialized tools like pullers and whatnot. Works pretty well, and the boxes are small enough that they will all fit in the trunk of my LS. Since the boxes aren't holding much, each one is smaller and easy to look through. What was really nice is I bought the boxes at Atwoods, who at the time was selling 100 percent US-made boxes.

Eventually I'll have a permanent garage and at that point I'll be taking my dad's advice and putting up a peg wall with each tool's spot painted on the wall. At that point, anyone wanting me to work on their stuff will come to me, I will no longer go to them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back