Weird oil filter part number!?!?

3.9Style

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just a quick one guys. I went to change the oil yesterday and noticed that the oil filter JiffyCrap put on was of a different thread from what is probably normal/every other oil filter. Here's a pic of the filter and so far no one around here can match one up, and at nearly $80 a pop for an oil change with synthetic, I REEEAAALLY do not want to pay someone else to do something that I can, for just about half the price....:confused:

The car is a 2001 LS 3.9 V8.

rscn2686kl5.jpg

first off, it looks like that piece in the middle of your filter is supposed to stay on the car (that end sticking out is what you should see on the car after you take the filter off). The filter should have a female thread.
second, i reccomend the purolator filter for better flow, better multi-pass efficiency, and ability to filter smaller particles.

:lol: ....I was JUST thinking the same thing after noticing the octagonal shape of the inside....so thats what happens with oil filter wrenches huh?! Well, now I know to be more gentile! Thanks!

Yes that stub should be in the filter mounting point on the car.
I do not think you caused this problem but the jerk at the shop who over tighten the filter at the last oil change.

Gene

not soo sure about that....

but at least never ever never ever go to the cheap lube stops.

you pulled the oil filter off 'yesterday' without having a new one to replace it?

any parts store can match an oil filter to the year/make/model....

Jaguar EAZ001354, MANN W 719/7, WIX 51228, ACDelco PF2254, Bosch 72209, Champ LF510, Ford 96JV-6714-AA, Ford XW43-6714-BA, Mobil L15317, Motorcraft FL 2008, Motorcraft FL 2021, Pennzoil PZ-57, Quaker State L15317, Quaker State QS5618, Shell SH55, Shell L15137, Valvoline VO68, Warner PH2008

good luck putting that piece back in though.... looks like a pita to get out of the old filter without damaging the threads

good luck putting that piece back in though.... looks like a pita to get out of the old filter without damaging the threads

i dunno, stick that sucker in a vise, find a big enough allen wrench, and go to town!! :shifty:

thats a big allen wrench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and if you put the threaded part in a vise, yo'd likely screw up the threads. MAYBE if you put some wood between the vise teeth and the threads it MIGHT work out so you could wrench on the filter.... but idk

Noooo, don't ever clamp threads in a vise unless you WANT to destroy them. Not even with a wood block in there.

Take teh whole thing to sears and find an allen wrench that will fit in there. Might cost $15 but it will be cheaper than buying a new whatever-that-things-called. :p Plus you can return the wrench later on and say it was the wrong one. :shifty:

The good thing about getting your oil changed at a lube shop is that they have insurance. So, when they forget to put the drain plug back in and your engine seizes they get to pay for it. If you screw it up, you get to pay for it.

Of course, don't screw it up and you won't have a problem. And just imagine how much fun it would be to fight them for the money to cover a problem they will never admit to.

If I'm feeling lazy I let someone else change the oil. If I'm feeling industrious I do it myself.

Find a bolt that fits inside it, slap a vice grip on the threads of the bolt and twist!

double up the nuts. find two to fit on there and tighten them to eachother. then use them to back out the piece

If I'm feeling industrious I do it myself.

Industrious - is changing your own oil?

wow. u = overachiever.

seriously - you can buy allen wrenches that size. Axles, truck parts, tractors, ... use them (and apparently so do LSes).

Industrious - is changing your own oil?

wow. u = overachiever.

seriously - you can buy allen wrenches that size. Axles, truck parts, tractors, ... use them (and apparently so do LSes).

Dont they have ones on a socket like adapter to use them with a ratchet?

Funny thing is....Jiffy Lube hires on Ex-Cons who have previously stolen cars.......I didn't know about it til a few years back.....

...got It!!!

Thanks guys! I DID manage to solve the problem which I've never come across in all the years I've been doing my own oil changes!:

Went to 4 auto shops & Home Depot("You can't do it, and we won't help")...then went to a specialty tool shop I know of ONLY b/c I used to do windows & siding contracting....and it turns out, that a 9/16ths hex-bit WILL get these things off...when you put the WHOLE filter in a vise and use a nice big breaker bar/ 18inch wrench.

It actually came off pretty easy, and I had no damage to the inside. The main issue was getting the filter juuussst tight enough in the vise with out over tightening it for fear of slicing through the filter with the part still attatched.

The total cost? 15$ and some change for the hex-bit.

Funny thing is....Jiffy Lube hires on Ex-Cons who have previously stolen cars....

...and apparently a55holes who over tighten oil filters! ;)

First, Last & ONLY time I've ever been to one! NOW I know why!

glad it worked out!

now - you gonna tell us how many times you took the correct filter back to the part store when it wouldn't screw onto the car?

...and apparently a55holes who over tighten oil filters! ;)

First, Last & ONLY time I've ever been to one! NOW I know why!

And they are bad with Radiator fluids too.....they spilt that old :q:q:q:q all over my engine and my right headlight of the Taurus and I didn't notice it til I got home...I shoulda made them clean it......

Members online

No members online now.
Back