water pump drive belt

soul strife

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a '96 STS. Anyway, I replaced the serpentine belt and went to replace the water pump belt and I am baffled. Is there a trick to removing the belt? It looks as though the water pump is in the way.

Thanks for the information. Even looking at those pics it looks as though one must remove the water pump to replace the belt...that just doesn't make sense.

it's my understanding that you remove the serpentine belt first then remove the water pump belt cover, then release the tensioner for the water pump belt and remove the belt. I couldn't see them designing it in a way that you would have to remove the pump to replace the belt.

The serpentine belt and the water pump belts are on opposite sides of the motor. In the link you posted, take a look at the water pump pic. It has the drive pulley and the tesioner pulley with the water pump in the front. LOL, this is wild. I have never seen one so wierd before.

I cant remember how its done, but i know you dont have to remove anything except the guard, Theres a trick to it, give me a little while and ill look it up on Mitchell OnDemand. whats the correct name for that belt?

I made a phone call and my buddy says usually the tensioner will pivot far enough one way to get the belt out, he couldnt remember if it was to push the tensioner toward the firewall or towards the bumper, but it moves pretty far one way, so u can put the belt in. He said on one of the STS's he had to mremove the tensioner, which is very easy and quick, so u may want to do it that way. The tensioner comes off and back on easily.

Thanks for the help. I just do not understand how the belt can get off the water pump. The pump is in front of the pulley and belt. Maybe there is a bit of room between the pump and the block. I don't know. I need to mess with it more I guess.

Members online

No members online now.
Back