Water out the Exhaust. What does it mean?

exceptionaLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What's broken when a big puddle of water accumulates dripping from the muffler when my car idles?

Need some imput. I got a Check engine light and code of P0420 (lpassanger bank o2 sensor, autozone told me it was a cat converter) heres the thing, when I idle the car I have alot of liquid leaking out the passanger side muffler, and about half as much leaking out the drivers side. This just recently started and i'm assuming that it's got something to do with the o2 reading. Thanks in advance guys. :D

What's broken when a big puddle of water accumulates dripping from the muffler when my car idles?

Need some imput. I got a Check engine light and code of P0420 (lpassanger bank o2 sensor, autozone told me it was a cat converter) heres the thing, when I idle the car I have alot of liquid leaking out the passanger side muffler, and about half as much leaking out the drivers side. This just recently started and i'm assuming that it's got something to do with the o2 reading. Thanks in advance guys. :D

I just took a look @ an 03 that was doing the same... Both mufflers dripping ALOT of water

The car had no CEL on though. And appeared to be running just fine.

It means your catalytic converter is still in tact. The cats convert the gases in the exhaust into non-harmful substances; like water, oxygen, etc.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Could be a plugged cat. Could also be a bad O2 sensor.
There is an 8 year, 80k mile warranty on emissions related components on every car sold in the U.S. If your car fits in under those two limits take it to a dealer and they'll replace the cat under warranty.

my bank 2 is also bad and i get smoke out of the exhaust what could that be thanks

Every car I own leaks some amount of water from the exhaust... its natural with hot things and moisture in the air... condensation.

Take a look at the muffler they have a hole in them just for the condensation. This is normal for all internal combustion engine.

It's also a natural byproduct of combustion, but catalytic converters usually ad to the amount of water produced.

my bank 2 is also bad and i get smoke out of the exhaust what could that be thanks
Depends if it's it smoke or steam. Big difference. Smoke would be an indicator of internal engine damage of some sort. Smoke usually hangs around a while, usually blueish or greyish in color. Steam is normal. It tends to dissipate within a few seconds after coming out of the exhaust. Should always be white. If it isn't white, it isn't steam.

I started my car yesterday after sitting for 2 weeks to move it out of the garage so I could get to my mower. After letting the car idle for about 15 minutes listening to the radio and getting my mower ready for the season I put the car back in the garage. I look back after parking and there is a trail of rusty water up my inclined driveway and more dripping out of the muffler. Overall I'd say less than a cup came out but it was a little odd to see. I have noticed water out of the mufflers before but never thought much of it; till it looked rusty. The car is getting long in the tooth but doesn't have any major troubles (04 v6 with 87k). Any thoughts about the rusty water?

Makes me wonder what would come out my exhaust if I got rid of the cats :-D

oh boy!!.... IDK i wish I could just get this problem fixed....I'm just gonna go with the P0420 code and start with the 02 sensor...if that doesnt fix the problem I guess its time to do the cat.....I did drive around with a misfire for a few months...that I suppose would explain the Cat malfunction

My '89 Mustang drips moisture also when it sits and idles for a bit. I have a X-pipe with no cats so it does have to be the condensate. Really does it alot when it is cold outside.

Members online

No members online now.
Back