Warm and fuzzy. NOS heater.

Right on the Mark

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm going to have to make a disclaimer here because this is my car and I work on it how I please. This write up does not imply that this is the only way to do this or the best way.Just way I did it. That said,on we go.

This place has been really slow lately so though I would add this. I race at like the North Pole dragway and need to keep bottles warm. 98 degrees keeps bottles @ 950 ish PSI just right.

I got to use my buddies Kevin Neal unit that cost $500 and it worked mint running in northern usa. I wanted one after that. I have the tall skinny NOS bottles. I found this perfect cooler at Wally World for 27 dollars.
001_zps80b69ba3.jpg

Made the inner bottle separator.
002_zpsf00f80d4.jpg

Bought the heater element off Ebay for 15 dollars. Wanted a flange mount so no silicone BS to seal it. This one's element is 8 inches long so gets in box deep. LOL
009_zps68cd15bf.jpg

Rubber gaskets and inside load plate for no leaks.
001_zps5fdcb6bd.jpg

Mounted everything on back of box for clean look. Had to cut thru outer wall and mount to inner wall for no leaks. Also machined up nylon washers for no leaks.
005_zpsf8ccfdff.jpg

Cut lid same distance apart. I like how tall bottles are fully in water.
015_zps9750d8fb.jpg

Bought this digital therm off Ebay for 44 dollars. It holds to 1 degree. Made lower mount plate for it too.
004_zps7ece31f8.jpg

011_zps94cb0015.jpg

My element was little high so bottom water would stay cold. There was no water transfer. I fixed that with air stones. Works sweet the water is all one temp now.
002_zps8bbd469f.jpg

Mounted pump to back and wired in to only run when element is on.
005_zpsfd8bf863.jpg

005_zps7b12f2bc.jpg

Test run works like a charm
006_zps9427b372.jpg

Nice
Did you not want a bottle heater (blanket) cause of cost or are they inefficient?

I think he mentioned $500 for a bottle heater..so ya I could see why you would make your own. I like your ingenuity though, pretty cool. And frank you're right about it being "slow" here lately, I've noticed that too.

Yea. This place has been dead lately. Always enjoy seeing your work! I always thought it would be cool to put the tank in a trunk bolted through an old duffle bag, so zipped up, it just looked like an old gym bag sitting in the trunk.

Nice
Did you not want a bottle heater (blanket) cause of cost or are they inefficient?
I don't want to tax the charging system with a bottle heater blanket. Its so cold here I would have to leave car running to run in car elect one. Now I have a piping hot engine if left running. Also never want the dreaded "click click click" of a non starting car in staging lanes. And yes "water bath" is way better to heat bottle. Its covers ever sq inch not just a band like bottle heater.

Why can't you use the generator for a conventional heater? Just wondering.
Because element types don't heat soak the bottle like a water bath. Once you go water bath you don't go back. Plus I can get bottle 2 up to temp and ready to rock and roll.

Members online

No members online now.
Back