Wardens UnProgress Thread

Warden

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Since so many of you are making good progress on your cars and I feel so guilty about not doing squat to mine I figured i'd start an un progress thread.

I just moved into a new house with garage (the garage was a must so I could work on the cah - HA!) and work is chaotic at best so I have no time for the Mark.
However I did decide to clean the MAF the other day with some carb cleaner:eek: so I have moved backwards.

Hopefully i'll tackle the IAC soon.
That's all the time I have for now.

IMG00470-20100815-1001.jpg

IMG00343-20100511-1659.jpg

Warden, make sure the can you used states that it leaves no residue. They make a MAF cleaner that dries almost instantly and leaves no residue. Red can and it's made by CRC.

Quick ?...Can you just use some pliers to take out the torx bits behind the maf? I didnt get good leverage for the back one (wire) when i cleaned mine acouple weeks ago.

those are called security Torx. I tried with pliers on mine, and it didnt budge. i ended up borrowing one from a friend. harbor freight sells them pretty cheap though. its a T20.

I googled how to clean the MAF from my cell phone since I don't have internet at my house. THe site that came up and was easy to read said to use Carb cleaner as it dries instantaneously. I took the car for a ride after I cleaned it and she purred like a kitten at idle, until I shut her down and fired her back up. Now I need to replace the IAC and see if that is the issue and then see if I f'd the MAF up at all.
It is hard to tell in the picture but the lil sensor is completely silver now. It appeared to be blackened before, which I assumed was soot but could have been the coating? WTF.
Somebody just come and fix the car for me, i'll never be able to get the time to do it. Unless I walk out on my job (which kinda sounds like a good idea - but then no money so....).

Anyway, the car has a complete new air ride, front end rebuild, and the ASHAM8 (I actually did that myself).

I need to fix...
IAC
Vacuum leaks
AC
???

Want to...
Complete tune up
Navigation system
full detail
Drive

When I do the IAC I will be pulling off the intake. I will be able to paint the water bypass tube right? See in the pic it's a lil rusty, if I sand and paint I just need to make sure it's properly grounded when I re-install right? Scrape off paint and be all set? Or is it best to buy new, paint with special paint, or leave alone.

IMG00399-20100710-1253.jpg

I dont think you can buy a new one from the dealer anymore. lots of guys repaint or rechrome them along with the alternator bracket.

Quick ?...Can you just use some pliers to take out the torx bits behind the maf? I didnt get good leverage for the back one (wire) when i cleaned mine acouple weeks ago.
See, here is where I plead ignorance. I would believe the only areas that would need to be cleaned are the exposed areas that dirt and grime would collect on so I just sprayed the f out of it and it dried really quickly. If I wanted to clean it for aesthetics then I would want to remove the MAF and disassemble to clean.

Once I saw the torx I figured they were not meant to be taken off and deemed unnecessary to clean the MAF sensor portion.

Fly me out and I will take care of all the issues.

I didn't see this reply Kid, that would be cool wouldn't it.

Small amount of interest in the car lately; and I am thinking of tackling some work too. I just don't want to tear down the car and then need to move it to do work in my garage.

maybe more progress now. The office just put us back to 40 hours pay per week which means that the support teams will be working more hours and some load can be taken off of me, and a lil more cash too. I'll still have to work 60+ hour weeks but hopefull not 80; and I was only getting paid for 30.

Started the car up the other day; ran good but the bags were not venting.
All brake fluid is gone so as I was moving the car around I had to use the e-brake.

I still need to...
..Replace IAC
..Replace TPS
..Fix brake leak (forget what chicken told me was likely the cause)
..O2 sensors
..something else extremely minor
then the car would be running strong.
Wish I had tools.....

I still want to...
..complete tune up
..complete detail
..possibly paint the exterior
..add GPS
..adjust the sun roof

A pic of what the car had to go through this winter.

IMG00228-20110203-1611.jpg

Members online

Back