Vehicles that have 4.10 Gears at junkyard

sirkingchase

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have read through various Mustang forums and they say that the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade gears is to replace the rear end with another one.

My plan is to goto the junkyard and pull a rearend with 4.10 gears.
Is there a list of trucks, cars, suvs, or vans that have 4.10 gears that will fit in the mark? Keep in mind the local yard only has cars 10 years or older and that I could not tell the difference between 4.10 and 3.27 gears if they were sitting in front of me.

I understand the basics of what I need; 8.8 possi or trac-loc and 4.10 gears. Other than that I have no idea.

Thats a pretty tall gear for a car to have, however some ford F-150, 6cyl.std.trans. had them from the factory,1987 thru 1991.I JUST PUT A 4.10 ring and pinion set in my gen 2. I DON' THINK THE TRUCK ONE WOULD WORK.You need someone with lots of hands on exp. for this one. possibly Gino. to determine the ratio ,count the teeth on both and divide the pinion number into the ring number. Ex. 40 teeth on the ring divided by 9 teeth on the pinion would come out to 4.44 to one.hope this helps. George

Last edited:
4x4 ranger will be your best bet.

The tag on the diff cover bolts. Bottom line. Look for 4 L 10 for a trac lok 4.10 gear. the numbers are the ratio. The l (or lack of) is trac lok or not.

No matter where you look you won't find a rear that will bolt in to a mark with 4.10s you will have to swap internal components.

rule of thumb: if it were cheap or easy EVERYONE would have done it

Some peeps don't like to get dirty. To be cheap sometimes you have to get dirty. To tell what gear ratio any ring and pinion is, you just count teeth on each and divide the small into the large. If gears are not maked the ratio always count teeth. Stock ford gears will most often have the ratio cast into end of the pinion head.

Some peeps don't like to get dirty. To be cheap sometimes you have to get dirty. To tell what gear ratio any ring and pinion is, you just count teeth on each and divide the small into the large. If gears are not maked the ratio always count teeth. Stock ford gears will most often have the ratio cast into end of the pinion head.

All 4 sets of mine do.

The tag on the diff cover bolts. Bottom line. Look for 4 L 10 for a trac lok 4.10 gear. the numbers are the ratio. The l (or lack of) is trac lok or not.

No matter where you look you won't find a rear that will bolt in to a mark with 4.10s you will have to swap internal components.

Which internal components would I have to swap?

I have the official lincoln repair books btw.

I have read that used gears by themselves have the possibility of not lining up properly with my differential because of wear. And using the differential and gears together were the best possible alternative for a perfect fit. Also you dont have to have anyone that knows what they are doing to help all your doing is a swap.

I have read that used gears by themselves have the possibility of not lining up properly with my differential because of wear. And using the differential and gears together were the best possible alternative for a perfect fit. Also you dont have to have anyone that knows what they are doing to help all your doing is a swap.

Gears are all you can use. The diff in our unit is an IRS diff and the unit from a straight axle will not work in ours because it does not have the clip that holds the output shafts in place.

Gears are all you can use. The diff in our unit is an IRS diff and the unit from a straight axle will not work in ours because it does not have the clip that holds the output shafts in place.

We just all went thru this it will work.

Thats why its called "setting up" a rear end not installing gears. Anyone can pull out gears and pop in any other set. The problem comes with machined tolarances. No 2 parts are the same in the hands of a machinist.Used gears go in no different then new gears. The are "set up". So bottom line is it would be better to have someone that knows what there doing from bearing crush,back lash,brake away tq, gear pattern and so forth.

Some of the 4.0 rangers and exploders had 4.10's. Only the 4.0 rangers and exploders came with a 8.8. They are rare. Write down the axle codes from the haynes manual and look for that code on the door sticker/door jam. Then just verify by looking at the tag on the rearend.

I have read through various Mustang forums and they say that the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade gears is to replace the rear end with another one.

My plan is to goto the junkyard and pull a rearend with 4.10 gears.
Is there a list of trucks, cars, suvs, or vans that have 4.10 gears that will fit in the mark? Keep in mind the local yard only has cars 10 years or older and that I could not tell the difference between 4.10 and 3.27 gears if they were sitting in front of me.

I understand the basics of what I need; 8.8 possi or trac-loc and 4.10 gears. Other than that I have no idea.

i believe hes looking for what vehicles to start looking for before he looks in

the clip is actually on the half shaft, not in the carrier.
and if you put a half shaft in a solid axle carrier with the c clip, it will not come out. the clip will get stuck.
i have factory half shafts and no c clips. zero issues so far. got under the car and tried to move the half shafts around, and i could not.

hate to break it to you but your last sentence is false. the 03-04 cobra had a factory 4.10 option and will bolt in. but finding one of those is like hens teeth

Thats why its called "setting up" a rear end not installing gears. Anyone can pull out gears and pop in any other set. The problem comes with machined tolarances. No 2 parts are the same in the hands of a machinist.Used gears go in no different then new gears. The are "set up". So bottom line is it would be better to have someone that knows what there doing from bearing crush,back lash,brake away tq, gear pattern and so forth.

I'snt the 8.8 supposed to have 17ft-lb torque to rotate the pinion gear?
I've rebuilt a few differentials myself.

To the OP, Doing differentials is not easy, Well it is... but it isnt. Its easy if you know what your doing.

I had a rear end go out at 140k then at 155k and the guy who did the work claimed it was my fault. point blank it was improperly setup and cost me an extra 1,000 to fix it.

If your willing to try it go for it!

To the OP, Doing differentials is not easy, Well it is... but it isnt. Its easy if you know what your doing.

I had a rear end go out at 140k then at 155k and the guy who did the work claimed it was my fault. point blank it was improperly setup and cost me an extra 1,000 to fix it.

The break away trq varies from old bearings to new bearings, long as i'm in that range I'm happy. Also you have to spin pinion couple times then do the break away trq so it flows nice.

I dont have that kind of money, I cant take that risk. Reason I wanted to pull one to begin with was because it was cheap and I was under the impression it was a "bolt on" and that I would be safe installing it by myself because if it messes up I still have me old one.

Iev gotten alot of good information from this thread. I now know what to look for, which is a start. I still dont have a clue what to do afterwards.

If I find the rear end Ill pull it and save it for the future I guess. Im so tempted to take the shop class for ASE, offered by my Junior College so I can actually have an understanding of this stuff.

hate to break it to you but your last sentence is false. the 03-04 cobra had a factory 4.10 option and will bolt in. but finding one of those is like hens teeth

Maybe a dealer option.

The terminator as built by ford had 3.55s only.

And for the record a terminator 31 spline rear will not be a direct bolt into a mark with 28 spline axles.

ahh i forgot that they were 31 spline. i had a friend that had an 03 with 14k miles and his was a 4.10 rear. i think it was a special order though.

a 99 cobra irs diff would work, iirc they are 28 spline.

I dont have that kind of money, I cant take that risk. Reason I wanted to pull one to begin with was because it was cheap and I was under the impression it was a "bolt on" and that I would be safe installing it by myself because if it messes up I still have me old one.

Iev gotten alot of good information from this thread. I now know what to look for, which is a start. I still dont have a clue what to do afterwards.

If I find the rear end Ill pull it and save it for the future I guess. Im so tempted to take the shop class for ASE, offered by my Junior College so I can actually have an understanding of this stuff.

Take it! knowledge is power. the more you know the more you can do.

ahh i forgot that they were 31 spline. i had a friend that had an 03 with 14k miles and his was a 4.10 rear. i think it was a special order though.

a 99 cobra irs diff would work, iirc they are 28 spline.

Yes 99s are 28 spline.

For the record I bought mine with 9k and it has 16k now. Have your friend check the tag on the diff. If its missing someone has been in there. If it says 4L10 I'll be shocked. I've never seen a factory 4.10 mustang in the 8 years I was a tech at ford.

Members online

Back