upgrading exhaust..... Suggestions?

silverbucket

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure one or both of my cats gave out (rotten egg smell) so since I'm getting those replaced I figured I should do the rest too, just don't know what to put in or not put in. Any suggestions? Delete Mufflers, and get xpipe? Or magnaflow, bassani? I want it to make some noise when I get on the gas but not so much when its parked or I'm waiting at a light.

Magnaflow makes a cat-back system for the 00-02 LS MY.

However if you have an 03+ a bunch of people do mufflers and an X-pipe (resonator delete) and love it. As far as brand, it just depends on how much you want to spend. I recently did Magnaflows and really like them. But the LSs I have heard with Bassani sound ridiculously good.

Gen 1 or Gen 2, V6 or V8? What is your goal? Do you want it to sound like a Mustang, do you want it to sound like the world is coming to an end, or do you just want a little extra rumble when you lay into it? Do you want a bolt-on kit or are you willing to have a shop do the installation of parts for you?

Sorry, v8 2002.... and i dont want it to sound too loud i just want a little rumble when i slam on it. I have a camaro and in tht thing i cant hear the person next to me because of the exhaust, i dont want anything like that at all. i plan on having a shop weld it in for me. the lower the cost the better for me! but i dont want to go too cheap to where it sounds all choppy.

Best option would be magnaflows...$70 per muffler and sound very good with nothing else done.

wont be too loud either.

+1 on Magnaflow! I have the entire cat-back system on my '02 and after better than three years, it's just right sound wise.

KS

(Rotten egg smell usually means the cat(s) is/are working)

I have a pair of Bassani 3'' mufflers with X pipe on my '63 F-100 ICB. They work great in that application.

Last edited:
Thanks I'm going to look into them. And rotten egg smell means they are working? From what I have read on here people say that it means one or more have gone bad. Does anyone have Bassanis? I hear they sound great.

Search on here and on youtube. There is plenty of videos of magnaflow, flowmaster, borla and bassani exhausts in different configurations (x pipe, h pipe, with/without resonators)

Rotten egg smell does not mean cats are bad. My mk8 would smell when beat on hard. Heard its from running a bit rich up top(rpm). I replaced the stock 1993 o2's and smell gone. Might have been from slow 02's.

I heard Alax7 ride on youtube and that car sounds sick with the Bassanis. He even said its a lot better than the magnaflows or flowmaster. Thats my kind of exhaust.

Well I'm assuming the guys at the shop would be able to tell me if they are good or bad... I was thinking of getting some 3.5 dual exhaust tips, I think they are named gm dual tips on ebay. I did see some Bassani videos they sound good I just wish someone around here had a set so I could hear them in person.

That is a great price on the bassani's. I paid double for each a few months back. If anybody is thinking of getting them, I would do it now before the sale expires.

Members online

No members online now.
Back