Update on Rear View Mirror

Carol

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I had the rear view mirror from the Donnally company installed yesterday and its perfect. All I had to do is put the defective mirror in the box the new one came in and send it back Fed Ex. (the pre-paid label was inclosed).
Also when my car salesman picked up my car to take it to his lot to fix the mirror I told him the back window didn't work. He suspected the motor was bad. When he brought the car back for me he said everything is fixed. The window did need a new motor. When I asked him how much he said NOTHING! When he gets really old, in bad shape cars for trade ins (like mine was when I traded for my 1997 conti.) they take out the parts they may need in the future. He happened to have a motor so he put it in for free. Oh yea he also washed and waxed my car. Absolutely no charge. Anybody living near York, PA and they want the name of an exceptional salesman let me know. And just in case anybody thinks there are any motives to his being so nice I only met this guy 2 months ago when I bought my car and I'm old enough to be his mother and then some.

I just received reply from them about a mirror so I'm awaiting one as well I'm glad someone is stepping up to replace these mirrors. There must have been some design flaw. It doesn't seem like the ones used in the towncars had the same problems.

I'm glad you're getting your mirror replaced also. I was beginning to think nobody believed me when I said they were sending me a replacement for free.

I got 2 fedex confirmations with different tracking numbers from magna donnley, same shipping and estimated delivery date. So I write back to them asking if this was correct or not.

I called them yesterday 8/23/07 and they asked me a few questions and e-mailed me a form to fill out. They then asked for pictures of the problem, the wires, and connector. So far so good :)

I got mine today, and it is substantially different from the original mirror. When I plug it in, it does not operate correctly. I have to turn te headlights on to get it to exit its own display test mode (all segments of the display are lit) and then the map lights are just on. They do not respond to the buttons, and the display says on even when I turn the car off and remove the key.

I have e-mailed Donnelly, since no documentation was included with the mirror. I am hoping that it's just a difference in pin placement and that I can move the wires around in the connector to get it to work properly. If Donnelly provides a diagram of the pins vs. circuits I should be able to get it working.

All in all, it didn't cost me a dime so I can't really complain. Thanks to Carol for sharing the info.

What is different between your mirror and the one you got, do you have pictures of your old and new one to post?

What is different between your mirror and the one you got, do you have pictures of your old and new one to post?

Here's a few:

Old:

old1.gif

old2.gif

old3.gif

New:

new1.gif

new2.gif

new3.gif

The biggest difference is the relocation of the compass display from the upper right corner of the mirror to a separate display panel below the mirror. The wedge mount is different, but will work.

On my mirror the left button turns the autodim on or off and the right is to turn the compass on or off. Holding it in for a few seconds brings up the zone set for the compass then you just press the key till it gets to yours. The left one if held in brings up the cal for calibrate of the compass. Have you tried pressing the lens of the lights to operate them? I don't have the moonroof so my lights are on the ceiling. But mine also moved the compass to the bottom and the compass module is smaller and wedge is different. Though the mirror works great and the compass now in the right zone as well after I calibrated it.

I can turn the auto-dim on and off by holding the left button for more than 4 seconds. The right button gets the mirror into compass calibrate mode, but does not toggle the compass on and off.

The map/courtesy lights do not work at all unless I turn the headlights on. Then the lights stay on regardless of door position or pressing the buttons. The light lenses are fixed.

The compass display comes up in some sort of display test mode and will not revert to normal compass readout until I turn on the headlights.

The mirror itself dims correctly, but the drivers door mirror no longer dims. Also, the display stays on when the car is off unless I unplug it.

I'm sure I'll figure it out. I just wanted to let people know that it might not be plug and play. My original mirror used all seven pins and I'm sure a few are out of place for the new mirror.

The mirror I received was exactly like the one that was on my car. Autodim and compass are the only two things my mirror has. My map lights are on the ceiling. I would call Donnally and tell them what happened. They were so nice on the phone that I feel sure they will make it right. Any your welcome. I'm glad I was able to share the info.

Just got a call from Magna Donnelly. They suspect that the mirror was damaged in shipping and are sending another one.

I'll have to wait and see...

Just got an e-mail from steve and he said the mirror they are sending me will be nothing like the one I currently have because they no longer produce it so they emailed me a troubleshoot guide to go with it

Thanks Carol, I called Steve and they are getting me a new mirror also. Great info. I was going to buy 1 but couldn't find one that was plug and play. Now I get a free 1. I recommend this to anybody whose mirror is messed up they were almost too nice on the phone.

I agree, Steve and the other people I spoke to at Magna Donnally were terrific! They were so helpful and willing to send a $600.00 mirror to me free that I thought there had to be a catch but I was wrong. My new mirror is working great and I paid absolutly nothing.

Magna Donnelly replaced my defective mirror in my 99 Conti very quickly. I called them on 8/24, they emailed me the form to fillout the sameday and I received my replacement mirror on 9/4. It took me all of 5 minutes to change it out and it looks and works great.

I would think it just has to be less than perfect. Call Donnelly and talk to them. They are very nice to deal with.

Mine did not actually leak and a replacment was sent. Unfortunately, the replacement is defective and I have been waiting for another for over a month. They are very pleasant, and since it is free I'm not really in a position to push them too hard. I must admit that I'm beginning to feel pretty frustrated that they have no idea when another one will be ready.

Please keep calling them. That just doesn't sound like their company. Did you talk to Steve? He really helped me.

How do you take the mirror off ?????????

edit: nevermind i found the post

Please keep calling them. That just doesn't sound like their company. Did you talk to Steve? He really helped me.

I've been e-mailing Steve and Dani, but lately they have stopped answering. It's not the end if the world if they don't take care of it. I would really just like to know. I don't want to keep instaling and removing mirrors for fear of damaging the wndsheld mount.

Members online

No members online now.
Back