UMMM, This can't be good.

markviii96

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I did a spark plug change my 96 mark viii. The plugs looked fine but when I pulled out one plug (passenger side 2nd to the front) It was covered in oil? it looks like it was firing fine. I am a little stumped on this one

Yesterday I did a spark plug change my 96 mark viii. The plugs looked fine but when I pulled out one plug (passenger side 2nd to the front) It was covered in oil? it looks like it was firing fine. I am a little stumped on this one

It's the first signs of worn gaskets. my cordovan was doing that to 2 plugs. By the time I sold it the plugs would end up drenched & misfiring. The oil leaks so bad that it stops firing. Assuming you don't hi-rev your engine much you have a couple months until you start getting headaches.

It might be that it's been a long time since they have been changed and some oil down in there isn't a bad bad thing. It's also not exactly what anyone would like to see. Just take a screw driver and put it inside a microfiber rag, stick it down the hole and dry it up and then get your plug in. My 94 had a puddle of oil on drivers side, closest to the firewall and idk when the plugs had been changed. I had just gotten it. The plugs I took out were Motorcraft platinum's but I switched to Autolite 764's and I never seen that puddle again. It just happens sometimes. Check it again in a week or so and see if it's still doing the same thing.

Like mentioned all you need is new valve cover gaskets. No biggie and nothing crazy happens all the time.

Anyone every done the valve cover gaskets? how hard are they to do, and do they have to be replaced in pairs. Oil is only on one side

It might be that it's been a long time since they have been changed and some oil down in there isn't a bad bad thing. It's also not exactly what anyone would like to see. Just take a screw driver and put it inside a microfiber rag, stick it down the hole and dry it up and then get your plug in. My 94 had a puddle of oil on drivers side, closest to the firewall and idk when the plugs had been changed. I had just gotten it. The plugs I took out were Motorcraft platinum's but I switched to Autolite 764's and I never seen that puddle again. It just happens sometimes. Check it again in a week or so and see if it's still doing the same thing.

x2, use a thinish flathead with something wrapped over it and stick it down there for a couple minutes. The first time I changed the plugs there was oil in some of them(3&8) but nothing too serious. I changed them again a couple months ago(10-12k since first copper plug change) and had about the same amount in them. I'm going to check the holes every 10k or so and soak it up if need be.

Was it a whole lot of oil of just a little down in the plug hole? Do you see any oil leaks where you park?
Not a lot but enough to make me worry :D, and I have never seen any oil leaks yet.

Also the plugs looked pretty new. I only changed them because I didn't know when last time was. I do know that the car sat for a year without being run more then like 5 mins, until like a month ago when we got it

This happened when I pulled the plugs on my car, but it was a pretty significant amount of oil. Changed the valve cover gaskets, plugs, and boots (because they too were soaked in oil) and have been good ever since. The odd thing was, even with that much oil in the plug wells, it was still running fine. No misfires or anything. The first problem I had related to that, was after I did the work. Turns out I had a bad plug. Replaced, and have been fine ever since.

Not a lot but enough to make me worry :D, and I have never seen any oil leaks yet.

It's about like your mufflers leaking a little water lol. You worry too much. :) Just check them in a couple of weeks to see if you have oil down in there. I believe you'll be ok. I don't think you really want to change the valve cover gaskets over something like that.

It's about like your mufflers leaking a little water lol. You worry too much. :) Just check them in a couple of weeks to see if you have oil down in there. I believe you'll be ok. I don't think you really want to change the valve cover gaskets over something like that.

I agree with this post. As long as it was just the end of the plug that was in the cylinder, and the boot(s) aren't covers in oil and all flimsy, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I told you I worry about my cars.. You just didn't know I would be asking help every other day. Sorry about that this is my first Lincoln to own

Thanks everyone for all the help. I really do appreciate it. You guys are great and have been a huge help.... We have a shop manual for the car and I always look here 1st before the book because you guys have hands on information.

Oil in the spark plug hole is from bad valve cover gaskets, specificly the ones in the center that are round. Oil will eventually soak the coil boot, and ruin it...a leak Is a leak, internal or external ..fix it

When you buy the kit, it'll be for both sides..so yeah do both. Not hard to do. Get a Jack and a piece of wood, place under oil pan, remove either side motor mount bolt (just 1) lift motor, remove cover. Install seals and replace cover, lower motor, replace motor mount bolt. Repeat on other side

Members online

No members online now.
Back