Two Cosmetic Issues

regiment1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have two cosmetic issues with my '00 LS.

1 - The second "L" in "LINCOLN" on the left tail light got knocked off. It's not broken. It looks like it used to have some type of doublesided tape backing that held it on. Any advice on how to adhere it back to the tail light?

2 - The chrome is peeling off my rim. It's the not-attractive 16 inch. But I"m cheap and recently got new tires so I don't want to spring for a new set of wheels right now. Any recommendations?
- I'm being quoted $340 to re-chrome it, and $240 to strip and powder coat (x4 to get all the wheels to match) Am I the only one who thinks that's nuts?
- I can buy a refurbished one from Rock Auto for $193 plus shipping, or from Wheels America for $190 plus shipping. Anyone know about the quality of either?
- I can buy a take-off, supposedly grade A, from a couple of ebay sellers for about $100.

You can buy the letters from ford or on ebay.

You can plastidip the wheels.

I debadged my gen2 and it was double sided foam tape. IF you still have the letter get some similar 3M and exacto it to match.

Around here it's $120-150 or so to straighten and refinish wheels and prob $75-100 more for chrome. About $100 each just to powedercoat.

You can buy the letters from ford or on ebay.

You can plastidip the wheels.

Since the chrome is peeling, I think the wheel has to be stripped, first. I suppose if I went plastidip I could just buy a machined wheel and then dip them all. But what color? I have the tri-coat pearl, and these 16's would probably look silly in black.

Hey, I have two cosmetic issues with my '00 LS.

1 - The second "L" in "LINCOLN" on the left tail light got knocked off. It's not broken. It looks like it used to have some type of doublesided tape backing that held it on. Any advice on how to adhere it back to the tail light?

2 - The chrome is peeling off my rim. It's the not-attractive 16 inch. But I"m cheap and recently got new tires so I don't want to spring for a new set of wheels right now. Any recommendations?
- I'm being quoted $340 to re-chrome it, and $240 to strip and powder coat (x4 to get all the wheels to match) Am I the only one who thinks that's nuts?
- I can buy a refurbished one from Rock Auto for $193 plus shipping, or from Wheels America for $190 plus shipping. Anyone know about the quality of either?
- I can buy a take-off, supposedly grade A, from a couple of ebay sellers for about $100.

I gorilla glued mine on when i added my extra "s" ..

I would keep an eye on craigslist. seems someone is always selling stock LS wheels... prob find a set of 17's with tires for less that 400

3m tape the emblem and buy a used wheel on ebay....like others said. If the finish is peeling off it may show up thru the Plasti-dip.
If you dont have the 'L' that fell off PM me your address and I'll send you one.

3m tape the emblem and buy a used wheel on ebay....like others said. If the finish is peeling off it may show up thru the Plasti-dip.
If you dont have the 'L' that fell off PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Luckily, I do have the "L" - it got knocked off right in front of me. Thanks for the offer, hite!

My grille and rear surround were peeling. I just sprayed the plastidip right over it without stripping it.

If they are the 16" wheels they are probably the polished aluminum, I currently have the same wheels. this is my second set. the first ones I had I painted black. the car is also black, I liked it for a while but got sick of it. The new wheels i got were peeling also but that is only the clear coat that was peeling. what I ended up doing is buying a few cans of the aircraft stripper and removing the clear then I polished them with Mothers wheel polish. I used the Mothers polishing cone ( works the best ) and used a dremel with the buffing tips to get into the tight spots. once the wheels where nice and shinny I sprayed them with a wheel cleaner and hosed them off, dried with a soft cotton cloth and sprayed 2 to 3 coats of the rustoleum wheel clear coat. They look perfect. If you would like me to post pics I have before and after. Total time to do everything was 4 days. some wheels were worse than others.

If they are the 16" wheels they are probably the polished aluminum, I currently have the same wheels. this is my second set. the first ones I had I painted black. the car is also black, I liked it for a while but got sick of it. The new wheels i got were peeling also but that is only the clear coat that was peeling. what I ended up doing is buying a few cans of the aircraft stripper and removing the clear then I polished them with Mothers wheel polish. I used the Mothers polishing cone ( works the best ) and used a dremel with the buffing tips to get into the tight spots. once the wheels where nice and shinny I sprayed them with a wheel cleaner and hosed them off, dried with a soft cotton cloth and sprayed 2 to 3 coats of the rustoleum wheel clear coat. They look perfect. If you would like me to post pics I have before and after. Total time to do everything was 4 days. some wheels were worse than others.
Pics would be fantastic. It sounds like you have handled the very same issue

Here are pics of my issue. Dlo has it right. I hadn't looked closely enough, just assumed it was a complete refinishing that was needed.

IMG_6602 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_6607 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_6606 (1024x680).jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back