Trying to find source of oil leak (most likely not filter adapter gasket)

LowLincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

1) I couple weeks ago I did an oil change. While under there, I checked the obvious place the massive leak would come from, but the surrounding area around the filter adapter is bone dry.

2) Since these cars use electric oil sending units, oil doesn't appear to be coming out of that either (remained dry even after wiping it down).

3) I can't really tell if it would be coming out of the oil dipstick area, because #4 below adds to the mystery.

4) Oil is coming from within this wire loom, but I don't know what the source is. What's inside this loom that could possibly carry oil? See pic:

oil_leak.jpg

Any ideas?

oil_leak.jpg

Hi guys,

1) I couple weeks ago I did an oil change. While under there, I checked the obvious place the massive leak would come from, but the surrounding area around the filter adapter is bone dry.

2) Since these cars use electric oil sending units, oil doesn't appear to be coming out of that either (remained dry even after wiping it down).

3) I can't really tell if it would be coming out of the oil dipstick area, because #4 below adds to the mystery.

4) Oil is coming from within this wire loom, but I don't know what the source is. What's inside this loom that could possibly carry oil? See pic:

View attachment 828453468

Any ideas?

Do you ever smell or notice smoke from excess burning oil coming out from under the hood after setting for a day or an all night setting?

Thats the oil level sensor wire.

I bet your OPSU is leaking, they leak BAD when the epoxy at the connector goes bad. Then that oil blows everywhere.

Replace the OPSU, use thread sealant (not thread locker) on the end that goes into the filter housing, spray area with brake cleaner and wipe. Check oil level

Do you ever smell or notice smoke from excess burning oil coming out from under the hood after setting for a day or an all night setting?

I don't really have a concrete answer, I Just know that the oil that is splattered allover the driver side cat burns off. I have to leave the window cracked during driving so the smoke doesn't build up in the cabin.

Thats the oil level sensor wire.

I bet your OPSU is leaking, they leak BAD when the epoxy at the connector goes bad. Then that oil blows everywhere.

Replace the OPSU, use thread sealant (not thread locker) on the end that goes into the filter housing, spray area with brake cleaner and wipe. Check oil level

Wow, that's just weird. Maybe I should have disconnected that switch while I was under the car waiting for the leak to come out of somewhere other than the wire loom. So you're saying it could be coming out between the black part and connector terminal?

getimage.php

Yeah dude, when that black area leaks.. its like you left the drain plug half open... it leaks BAD

In your pic you see they place red sealant on the threads already, DONT trust it, wrap those threads up with plumbers Teflon tape in the opposite direction as the threads. I wrap mine to where its pretty snug going back in, like 5 or 6 full wraps

Remove your OPSUs wire, and see if that connector has ANY wiggle, there should be NONE

Keep in mind its the oPsu... needs pressure, so the leak will only show with engine running

Thanks man!

I may go to my nearby NAPA to pick up an OPSU and thread teflon tape.... and maybe a couple of cans of brake cleaner spray for the underside of my car :mad:

update?
btw...is the OPSU called by another name with some suppliers? i was looking for it at Rock otto but didn't see it listed..I'm gonna reassemble my train wreck soon

Type "Oil Pressure Switch" in the keyword area once the vehicle has been chosen.

update?
btw...is the OPSU called by another name with some suppliers? i was looking for it at Rock otto but didn't see it listed..I'm gonna reassemble my train wreck soon

I haven't had a chance to do anything yet since I work through the week but hopefully this weekend I can. I'm just so lazy to jack up this car - I really wish I could still use the auto hobby shop at the air force base near me :(

Type "Oil Pressure Switch" in the keyword area once the vehicle has been chosen.

Yeah, it's under oil pressure switch on Rock Auto.

Members online

Back