Truth about the 3.9L engine....

ssls1787

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys im new to this site so whats up

anyway to the point about this forum.

one of my very good friends who is a ford freak told me that the 3.9L DOHC V8 engine in the LS is just a de-bored 4.6L DOHC V8 or in laymans terms its a de-bored N/A Cobra Mustang engine.

Is this true? has any one else heard this? all replys will be much appreciated:)

No, it's not true; the 3.9 and 3.6 are from completely separate engine families. The Lincoln AJ30/AJ35 is derived from the Jaguar AJ V8s, not the Ford modular engines.

HyeLifeLS said:
I think it's a "de-bored" 4.0L engine from the Jags.
It's a gross oversimplification (to the point of being incorrect), but you could say that the 3.9 is a "de-stroked," not "de-bored," Jag 4.0/4.2. They both started with the same block and use the same process for building the bottom end, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. Even the cylinder liners were different (though I think Jag finally dropped the Nikasil liners in favor of Lincoln's iron liners). The heads, intake, engine controls, and pretty much everything else are different between the Lincoln and Jag engine variants.

The only similarities of the two engines are they both have 8 cylinders and 32 valves. It's the same as comparing a 4.3 V6 Chevy and a 3.8 V6 Buick engine. Both are pushrod V6's. That's where it ends. Nothing else is the same.

SoonerLS said:
It's a gross oversimplification (to the point of being incorrect), but you could say that the 3.9 is a "de-stroked," not "de-bored," Jag 4.0/4.2. They both started with the same block and use the same process for building the bottom end, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. Even the cylinder liners were different (though I think Jag finally dropped the Nikasil liners in favor of Lincoln's iron liners). The heads, intake, engine controls, and pretty much everything else are different between the Lincoln and Jag engine variants.

You win the prize :D

My dad works for an autowrecker. In their computer the v6 engine is interchangeable with the taurus/sable and the v8 with the jag. I don't know if this helps. I did hear that the aviator had the mach engine from the mustang though.

that information is not right.

The V6 is basically the same as the 24V Taurus - but the electronics were very different on the 00-02... (not to mention the FWD vs RWD differences) so there is quite a bit of work to swap them.

The V8 (as stated above) has nothing like the Jag apart from the block.

Lincoln Luebbe said:
I did hear that the aviator had the mach engine from the mustang though.

Actually, it's more the opposite. But both are based on the N/A 2001 Cobra engine. The Aviator is detuned due to intake and exhaust.

thanks seems to be a general concensis. ill have to ask one of the ford people i know that teach a ford engines class. does anyone know of a place where i can find performance parts such as intakes and other engine parts for the LS. also does anyone know if the LS can fit any ford/Lincoln/Mercury manual trans for the V8 that would bolt in to place? thanks guys i can tell im gonna get a lot of useful info from this site

you will need to spend a lot of time searching the forums - a lot of item under performance, trannie, ..etc have been discussed at length. There is very little aftermarket support for the platform - so there are many, many custom and one-off solutions.

Members online

Back