transmission

dNyce LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 v8 non sst

This morning my car lost 2nd and reverse, and pretty much fifth. You cam feel the initial engagement, but it doesnt hold the gear.

From what i have read (using a lame android phone) it may be low fluid, bad solenoid, or murdered tranny.

Kind of just venting a little and asking if low fluid can cause that

Yes, all three are reasonable possibilities.
If it's been working and there is no leak, it's not low fluid.

Yes, all three are reasonable possibilities.
If it's be working and there is no leak, it's not low fluid.

Back in 09 the bell housing was leaking due to overflow of the trans fluid (i let someone else do the work, big fkn mistake). That stopped awhile ago and it ran fine for around 50k.

Then i noticed a couple times that when i would push the pedal, it'll lose the gear and rpms will shoot up, then when they drop back down itll find the gear. For that, i topped off the fluid, where i noticed the tailshaft is seeping atf. That top-off fixed that issue, tho.

2000.. how many miles?
could be solenoid but may want to just do the whole trans if has lots of miles. i would price out all your options beofre you open your checkbook

2000.. how many miles?
could be solenoid but may want to just do the whole trans if has lots of miles. i would price out all your options beofre you open your checkbook

If i do indeed need to have it rebuilt, or replaced, im going to see what my job can do first, then go from there.

2nd and 5th = OD gears, controlled by the OD servo. Yours has likely developed a leak due to the aluminum casing being worn down by the steel pin. Can be a relatively simple fix.

Read this site: http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/index.html

It's a common problem on Explorers with high miles.

Thanks for the link.

Here, give this thread a look too if you're thinking about DIY route:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=80761

Im not trying to get that involved with the trans. If it does need that, or anything in depth, to a shop it goes.

I drove it home tonight, and i have 1-5, but it has to be driven like a manual.
Gas, let off, shift, wait for engagement, repeat lol.

Check your fluid level first. There are descriptions on how in our website but in general, you get the tranny to operating temps but not hot(like long freeway drive) and then level the car and pull the fluid check plug. If fluid dribbles out then you have enough. If all you get is a drop or two, then you probably need to add fluid.

Note that the fluid check plug looks like a tranny dsrain plug. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but the plug is actually a two piece plug, at least on my 2004 LSV8. The small center plug is the check plug. The bigger plug actually looks and feels like it would act as a drain plug. You probably need to use a wrench to hold the big plug still while checking fluid level. I think the small plug is a torx socket, I forget.

I had my car act up this summer... one time after parking for a few minutes on a very slight incline, it did not want to go into reverse until I killed the engine and restarted. Then a week or two later the tranny error message came up while driving.

I checked fluid and it was down about 700ml(3/4qt). After I filled it up thru the plug, no problems. I have put on about 4,000 miles since then with no problems. I currently have about 148000 miles on it. The tranny had a minor rebuild due to a customer satisfaction program at about 30000 miles. I am probably due for a flush or dropping the pan.

Best bet is to drop your pan and inspect for wear symptoms... pepper flakes or metal flakes. A little Pepper is normal, almost no metal at all is ok. Also fluid should be bright red to maybe just getting to be dark red. Black or brown is bad. Smokey smell is bad.

Good Luck.

Jim Henderson

Thats my plan tomorrow at work (check/correct level). It is a two-piece plug. I didnt get any error messages (yet, hopefully i wont). I hope all it is is low fluid.

Question
When i shift from D or N to R, i get a buzz thru my speakers. Does that indicate anything? I didnt have a trans E or a CEL.

Update
trans all of a sudden works again. Went to drift/roll mt car backwards in my parking spot, put the car in R, and it started moving regularly on its own. Drove it in D5 and D4 and it goes. I still plan on getting it checked out tho.

I filled up the gas tank, drove it home like a manual, got a CEL, and now its working. Idk lol

Question
When i shift from D or N to R, i get a buzz thru my speakers. Does that indicate anything? ...

Failing solenoid, bad electrical connection, wire shorting to ground...

Looks like i need a new/rebuilt trans

Im looking on carpart.com and was wondering if i can use an 01 or 02 trans. There are two options, yw4p-aa and 1w4p-aa. Saw a few low mileage units that are far less expensive than the quotes i received for a rebuild.

just curious, how do you know you need a replacement?
I would probably check all electrical connections, check/exchange fluid as needed, and re-calibrate the trans by disconencting the battery, reconnecting the battery, followign new battery reconnection procedure, doign a drive cycle. it may just be out of spec and it could possibly be fixed by recalibration. for free.
good luck either way

You could swap the solenoid, filter and servos yourself for around $600. I doubt it's a fun project though.

just curious, how do you know you need a replacement?
I would probably check all electrical connections, check/exchange fluid as needed, and re-calibrate the trans by disconencting the battery, reconnecting the battery, followign new battery reconnection procedure, doign a drive cycle. it may just be out of spec and it could possibly be fixed by recalibration. for free.
good luck either way

I called a couple trusted trans shops in my area and explained what was going on. One of the shops had an LS there doing the same thing as mine, except it had reverse.

I tried looking for connectors. Only saw one at the bell housing that was connected. I unplugged iy and it looked clean and dry. Do you know where other connectors are? I had the car on a floor jack (with stands in place) so it wasnt up too high, maybe 2ft or a little more.

You could swap the solenoid, filter and servos yourself for around $600. I doubt it's a fun project though.

I dont do too much more to a trans than drain and fills, filters, and gaskets. Not my cup of tea.

I tried looking for connectors. Only saw one at the bell housing that was connected. I unplugged it and it looked clean and dry. Do you know where other connectors are? I had the car on a floor jack (with stands in place) so it wasn't up too high, maybe 2ft or a little more.

Inside the transmission......

I would have a proper (they actually tested it) diagnosis before I replaced the whole thing.

The servos are done from the outside actually (might need to drop part of the exhaust), and since you've done filters before, the solenoid would be a piece of cake as it's right there.

But.. your bands could be worn out, which to my understanding would mean you lose gears 2-5? What's the problem right now anyway?

The servos are done from the outside actually (might need to drop part of the exhaust), and since you've done filters before, the solenoid would be a piece of cake as it's right there.

But.. your bands could be worn out, which to my understanding would mean you lose gears 2-5? What's the problem right now anyway?

no reverse. You can feel it shift to reverse, but when you hit the pedal, you feel the initial movement, then the rpm's go up (with pushing accelerator), then come down slowly.

No d5 and d4, unless you shift manually. I generally roll from 3rd, unless on a hill that gives it too much trouble (i start from 2nd then). In order to use 4th, you have to be going at least 25-30 mph. From there you can go to d5, speed permitting.

If you push the pedal for that 'puck up and go' (in d4 and d5 only), it slips out of gear and the rpms shoot up. Then they come back down slowly.

hey bud, what did you end up doing with this thing?

it potentially has more problems than worth throwing money at sure.
did you try diconnect/reconnect the battery at all?
give that a shot, its free, cant hurt anything... pressure spec could be thrown off and its just not wanting to go into R when you select it. I have lost R before and diconnected/reconnected and magically got it back. i made sure to break it in properly the second time. ive got an 05 non sst tho. i would move the stick to R and it would show R on the dash but it would just rev like it was in N.
after you do it shift thru all the options a few times and see if it behaves any differently/better. might save you a couple grand on that tranny swap

I did the disconnect/reconnect. left it disconnected for maybe 3 hrs, didnt help. I didnt know about.the relearn procedure tho. Ill try again tonight when i get home. Im gettimg a used trans with a 6mo warranty from a trusted place my job uses for ~700.

Damn, I still think you've got one of the slickest first gens out there! Hope the new tranny gets everything running smoothly again (im sure it will).

Members online

No members online now.
Back