transmission issues (joegr?)

2002_lincolnLS

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So I have been dealing with transmission issue.

Info:

2002 LS v8
131,000 miles
no codes currently on car, did have P0743

start of it all, one day coming home from work the car would just rev then go into gear. I managed to make it home. The next day i take apart the tranny (pan and guts in there)

I bought a used solenoid and valve body. Put it in and then I got the E.

I recently took it apart again and replaced the Valve body with one I rebuilt with all new springs and made sure all the valves moved.

I also replaced the shift cable as I found the sleeve where the cable attached to the shift rod was cracked and not always putting it in the gear the selector said it was in. Park was reverse and so so on.

I no longer have the error, however it will not move with much power at all. I can't get it back up the ramps. I have the proper amount of fluid as filling it per procedure. I also have all new gaskets and filter and fluid.

I am not ruling out the solenoid as it is used. I just would like more input on if this sounds like a solenoid before I order a remanned or new one. I believe the solenoid was the issue to begin with, I did a continuity test on the old last night and there were a lot of pins that showed open, but I can not be sure it is not supposed to on all of them.

Joe, if you have any electrical input let me know

I did do some searching but it's tough to find something more definitive.

torque converter or burnt bands?

That or the solenoid assembly or the pump... A check of the line pressures should help you figure out which (however, I am no transmission expert).

I will also state I forgot to mention above, it slams into drive and pretty harsh into reverse.

from what I can remember reading that is an indication of a bad solenoid. I am looking info about the torque converter now.

I would think if the bands are bad that would be more of an issue when moving not getting moving, I may be wrong though

could be... I (also) am no expert.

I just play one on this site

any ideas on about how much pressure there should be at the lines?

I mean if there is little to none I can assume that's bad.

I had the E issue. I also had it shift pretty hard into drive and reverse. I replaced both the solenoid and valve body and now it does great. I will be checking the fluid within a week or so make sure i don't need anymore. If the car revs but has no power I would first replace the solenoid. Then look into the torque converter. Sounds like it's not engaging. Which could be something simple like the solenoid. I found both the solenoid and valve body new from ford for $800 online.

If you filled the transmission on ramps then you dont have the right ammount of fluid in it. The car must be level. Not saying thats the prob but it may be some of it.

If you filled the transmission on ramps then you dont have the right ammount of fluid in it. The car must be level. Not saying thats the prob but it may be some of it.

I am going to put it on 4 jackstands tonight to verify correct fluid level.

Dont buy your solenoid from 800700 transmission. If its bad (I bought a bad one from them) they will not refund your money. Only exchange. The guy on the phone actually told me "looks like you are screwed then"

Dont buy your solenoid from 800700 transmission. If its bad (I bought a bad one from them) they will not refund your money. Only exchange. The guy on the phone actually told me "looks like you are screwed then"

that is seriously messed up, do think that kind of word won't travel

Yes you have to make sure it's 100% level!! And like I said I want to make sure I cycle through all the gears very well then check it again just to be safe.

where else can you get it?

Dealer. Or the internet. I would only buy a new solenoid. Remans aren't always completely trust worthy. With a part like this I would not buy used or reman just because of the hassle it takes to replace it if its bad (speaking from personal experience).

I've gotten pretty good at it recently, I found the biggest bonus to make it easy.... 10mm stubby ratcheting wrench to get the harness bolt loose on the solenoid. makes it a very easy thing compared to when I took it out and only had a regular wrench with me

Are you absolutely, positively sure the fluid level is correct?? I would make sure of that first and have it checked, professionally.

So I have it up in the air pretty damn level. As level as I can in my driveway. I pulled the center plug about a cup or two came out. I cycled through gears and the rear tires spin. When I put it in manual mode it stalled and died. Letting it run se more and checking again

Are you absolutely, positively sure the fluid level is correct?? I would make sure of that first and have it checked, professionally.

I'd have to tow it to a shop and don't really have the coin to have someone work on it

So I have it up in the air pretty damn level. As level as I can in my driveway. I pulled the center plug about a cup or two came out. I cycled through gears and the rear tires spin. When I put it in manual mode it stalled and died. Letting it run se more and checking again

That sounds like low fluid. Did you check it with the fluid at operating temp??

That sounds like low fluid. Did you check it with the fluid at operating temp??

temp was at operating temp, cycled through all gears and a little came out like I mentioned. From what I read that would mean it is at proper level now. I went through the process twice to be sure and maybe a total of 2-3 cups of fluid came out.

Members online

Back