Transmission insight ????

Merk1n_Season

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys educate me a bit. So as most of you guys know i have a midnight grey 1998 lincoln mark viii base. Im not sure if the previous owner changed the transmission fluid and trans filter before i owned it. So i figured id keep up the maintenance on the car and try to get the trans fluid changed and filter, But according to the local transmission shop WiWi Transmission to be exact told me since my car is well over 100,000 miles (111,349) that changing the fluid and transfilter will only damage my transmission. He told me its best that i leave it the way it is until transmission dies whenever it does. Can anybody put there 2 cents in on this one.:shifty:

I have heard that theory but I don't personally subscribe to it. I think the reason you see alot of high milage trans failures after a fluid change is because the owner changed the fluid trying to fix a problem that was already there. If the transmission is functioning properly there is no reason new fluid should harm it.

-Alan

Funny you should ask this question. I just recently had a conversation with the owner of a local transmission shop about this topic. His take on it was this:
When a high milage transmission has the fluid changed, it is often replaced with fluid containing detergents. After a couple weeks the detergents act on the old sludge and grit and deposit it on the filter eventually clogging it...causing the trans to fail.
He says he usually suggests changing the fluid and filter and then a week or so later changing the filter again.

transmission is fine guys i dont feel any slipping. Is it normal to feel the engage when your reversing out of a parking space. Correct me if i am wrong i heard the reason why transmission fail after get the fluid and filter change is because transmission shops dont replace it with correct fluid to begin with.

I've heard from trans places that a trans FLUSH is bad due in part it it stirring up any debris or minute metal shavings that collect in the pan and force it through the transmission and valve body..however if you pull the pan clean it all out and replace filter and drain all old fluid including the converter and refill with fresh fluid there shouldn't be a problem.

i thought dealers were the only ones who have the machinery to do a power trans flush. I had it done to my rx8 a couple of years back. So by just simply removing pan, cleaning it out and put trans oil back in it should be fine. Thanks KevIIIn. Another question is best to only use the mercon v trans fluid for mark viiii instead of basic transfluid that a shop would normally put in your car.

I had a high mileage Olds Aurora that I decided to change the fluid on. I changed it a friend's house who has a hoist. I changed the fluid and two filters. I did not drain the torque converter. The transmission failed ON THE WAY HOME. Of course, it was starting to act up slightly prior to that. It still makes me leery to change the fluid on my Mark and it probably needs it. It wasn't worth changing the tranny on the Aurora so I junked it. It was a great car for many years though.

If the transmission is healthy, then it is a good idea to flush the fluid. The most common reason for failure is because people want to flush a slipping transmission when it starts to show signs of slipping. The reason that the transmission then fails is because the grittiness of the fluid is gone and there is less friction between the already failing clutches. It honestly is a gamble on higher mileage transmissions, but smell the trans fluid and see what it looks like. If it smells okay and isn't burnt, I'd say drain and refill it. (With filter)

Also, as for the dealer only having the flush equipment, that's not true. The equipment is very easy to come by for shops with a few dollars.

I personally have never had a transmission fail after a fluid change. My 95 continental started slipping at 155K. We got the car when it had 72K and I don't remember if I ever did any transmission fluid change during 72K-155K. After it stared slipping, I had it flushed and refilled every 30K and it now has 226K.

Then my Mark VIII has never had a problem with the transmission. Got it at 60K and after going through with my Continental, I got it replaced at 90K and every 30K since then. Has 170K now and shifts nice and smooth like the first day I got it. I believe in keeping up with fluid changes is the key to having long life from the car.

Not gonna say you should change it because it is risky from what some say but my dad just got a Mark VIII with 94K and I will be changing it's fluid in a month. So if anything goes wrong after that, I will post back.

did a fluid change in my car at 145k. the trans finally went at 170k. unless the trans is already about dead, i think you'll be fine.

I have to believe the evidence of failure after fluid change is unrelated. The forcible pressure fluid change, however, seems unnatural to me. I've always used the cooler lines to flush without pressure and had no problems. This car has a torque converter drain plug, yes? I'm just getting to it after threatening for two weeks. Also, Mercon Type V? Any additives recommended? I've used Lucas as the last quart in previous hi mileage cars and had no problems - whether it was the Lucas or not, I cannot say. What say the experienced hands out there in Mark VIII land? P.S. - every time I drive this car I wonder why I went German after my last one. Must have been temporary insanity.

By adding a trans cooler it will keep the temp down and the trans will last twice as long.

If the transmission is healthy, then it is a good idea to flush the fluid. The most common reason for failure is because people want to flush a slipping transmission when it starts to show signs of slipping. The reason that the transmission then fails is because the grittiness of the fluid is gone and there is less friction between the already failing clutches. It honestly is a gamble on higher mileage transmissions, but smell the trans fluid and see what it looks like. If it smells okay and isn't burnt, I'd say drain and refill it. (With filter)

Also, as for the dealer only having the flush equipment, that's not true. The equipment is very easy to come by for shops with a few dollars.
+1
I like the way you worded it too.

Hey guys educate me a bit. So as most of you guys know i have a midnight grey 1998 lincoln mark viii base. Im not sure if the previous owner changed the transmission fluid and trans filter before i owned it. So i figured id keep up the maintenance on the car and try to get the trans fluid changed and filter, But according to the local transmission shop WiWi Transmission to be exact told me since my car is well over 100,000 miles (111,349) that changing the fluid and transfilter will only damage my transmission. He told me its best that i leave it the way it is until transmission dies whenever it does. Can anybody put there 2 cents in on this one.:shifty:

I wouldn't touch it if I were you. It's a higher mileage transmission. You can go another 40-50k on it without a problem as long as you don't beat it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back