Transmission Flush? Will it Fix my Problem...?

01LincolnLSV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

2001 Lincoln LS8

I have been reading all the other threads about transmission flushes and such but i have a question, and a bit of a problem... My car is premo other than my tranny. (just recently got rid of the clunking noise in the front of my car after replacing the sway bar links first then the whole sway bar, what a relief..) Anyways my transmission is shifitng rather rough, I dont not drive my car hard, every once in a while i'll get up and go with it but i dont beat on it. Basically what happens is when i'm at a dead stop and i take off normally, not fast at all, as it shifts into 2nd gear its rather rough... and also when i get around 45 - 50 mph, i'm guessing the tourque converter is locking up and that is rather rough as well... Now i've tried to take the negative terminal off the battery and reset the computer to see if that helps, it did a little, but its still rough... My question is, will a transmission flush help me or hurt me? should i get it done anyways? my car has about 54,000 Miles on it...

Thanks,
--Josh
:Beer

you can try it, but you more than likely need the updated valve body and solenoid pack. i have a set here if you are interested, and we could meet, or i can ship them to you. pm me for pricing.

Any other thoughts?

00ls-sport said:
you can try it, but you more than likely need the updated valve body and solenoid pack. i have a set here if you are interested, and we could meet, or i can ship them to you. pm me for pricing.

Pm'ed, Any other thoughts from anyone? Ghost? Quik?

I have overhauled a boat load of trannies in my day. NEVER...I mean NEVER have I ever seen a flush cure a mechanical problem in the trans. Once it's gone bad, all the fresh fluid in the world won't fix it.

You're problem can be anything from a sticking valve, a bad solenoid, or a mechanical issue. It needs to be properly diagnosed and go from there.

00ls-sport said:

Wasn't that just for the -03s and later?

Low fluid will cause all kinds of weird problems. I would have the fluid checked (it's extremely difficult for the do-it-yourselfer to do it; no dipstick) first. Do you have the latest calibration??

the older cars update to the new parts as well. i forgot about the pcm update. best bet is to bring to dealer to "accurately" diagnose problem

00ls-sport said:
the older cars update to the new parts as well. i forgot about the pcm update. best bet is to bring to dealer to "accurately" diagnose problem
ive already done the tranny reflash. Im not doubting Your skills with transmissions i just like to get more than one opinion.

hmmm...

00ls-sport said:

is it possible to just replace the solenoid pack? or do i HAVE to do the valve body, cause thats a pretty big chunk of change then i have to put it in.... not sure if thats a do it yourselfer job...

01LincolnLSV8 said:
is it possible to just replace the solenoid pack? or do i HAVE to do the valve body, cause thats a pretty big chunk of change then i have to put it in.... not sure if thats a do it yourselfer job...

I own a 5R55N manual - looks too complicated for a DIY - IMHO. One of the hardest parts is just getting the tranny off and on.....

Quik LS said:
I own a 5R55N manual - looks too complicated for a DIY - IMHO. One of the hardest parts is just getting the tranny off and on.....

great... Is there any hope for me in this tranny flush? has anyone else had this similiar problem? Anyway to remedy it besides buying those parts? Quite frankly I'm really tired of throwing money at this car to make it work like it SHOULD.. I just think its a bit ridiculous... this will be like the 4th or 5th thing I'll be fixing in like 3 months since I've gotten the car and its becoming a reocurring thing... FORD (fix or repair daily)... I'm begining to beilieve that that remark is not far from the truth.:mad:

Thanks,
--Josh

01LincolnLSV8 said:

I did the solenoid pack a couple months back. If you're handy with a wrench, and it seems you are, it was relatively easy. The hardest part was refilling the trans. That is not easy! You will need some kind of a pump to pump the fluid into the trans. You will also need to get the car up high enough for you to get under for the pack R&R. I had access to a lift, so it wasn't too bad. IIRC, the whole job took about 3 hours. Access to a service CD or shop manual is also necessary to avoid any foul-ups. You will need a wrench that can swivel 90º so as to reach the bolt that secures the solenoid pack to the valve body. I don't remember the size. I want to say 9mm, but don't quote me.

YMMV.....

LS4me said:
I did the solenoid pack a couple months back. If you're handy with a wrench, and it seems you are, it was relatively easy. The hardest part was refilling the trans. That is not easy! You will need some kind of a pump to pump the fluid into the trans. You will also need to get the car up high enough for you to get under for the pack R&R. I had access to a lift, so it wasn't too bad. IIRC, the whole job took about 3 hours. Access to a service CD or shop manual is also necessary to avoid any foul-ups. You will need a wrench that can swivel 90º so as to reach the bolt that secures the solenoid pack to the valve body. I don't remember the size. I want to say 9mm, but don't quote me.

YMMV.....

Did it fix the problem? or was there more too it? if thats the case then thats great, i can get acces to a lift so i think i'll be good...

01LincolnLSV8 said:
Did it fix the problem? or was there more too it? if thats the case then thats great, i can get acces to a lift so i think i'll be good...

My issue was delayed P-R-D-R engagement. The same thing the re-calibration TSB solved. It was taking up to 10 seconds for the trans to shift into reverse from park or D5/4. The old solenoid pack was made in France, and failed often enough for Lincoln to get a revised version from Bosch. And yes, it solved my problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back