Transmission fluid puddle under bell housing

FDR

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
02 V8 sport

Yesterday, there was a puddle of red fluid. I had it running about 10 minutes, drove it 15 minutes, came back and saw the puddle (6"x8"). When I parked it, I saw a small puddle (2"x2") under where the bell meets the engine. Both were thin and bare barely showed up on a napkin I used to dab it up to see if it was oil or fluid.

Is there anything I can check or do I need to put it on a lift at a shop? I read on here the overflow tube drains there, but last time I thought I would have a cheap and easy trans problem, I ended up dropping $2500 for a new one in my Taurus. If it's the main seal, what am I looking at in cost at a shop?

Other information. I recently did the VCGs and had noticed there was fluid on the bell, but I ran the car probably 1 hour in the driveway, drove it 160 miles in two days in 3 segments, and had never seen any puddles before now. I did notice it had a slightly rough idle in drive and stopped, less rough than an unplugged coil though. I can't say I've been easy on the car. I wanted to know what the car can do and I love every minute driving it.

I thought I was in the clear since after fixing the vcg misfire and clearing the memory, the 40-50mph 5th gear bucking was gone :(

Members online

No members online now.
Back