Transmission fluid additive

LS 2006

LVC Member
Reaction score
Appears that the Ford transmiission fluid additive and Mercon fluid change at Lincoln Dealer cured our 2006 LS's transmission shutter problem. I am pleasantly surprised.

shutter = 1. One that shuts, as:
a. A hinged cover or screen for a window, usually fitted with louvers.
b. A mechanical device of a camera that controls the duration of a photographic exposure, as by opening and closing to allow light coming through the lens to expose a plate or film.
2. shutters Music The movable louvers on a pipe organ, controlled by pedals, that open and close the swell box.
tr.v. shut·tered, shut·ter·ing, shut·ters
1. To furnish or close with shutters: locked the doors and shuttered the windows.
2. To cause to cease operations; close down: shuttered the store for the holiday.

I don't see what that has to do with a transmission.

I have heard of transmissions with shudder issues, also sometimes called stutter.

You may still find that you need a new solenoid assembly in a year or three, or maybe not. Watch out for harsh engagement of reverse. If that starts, then it's solenoid replacement time.

Some 04s shipped with defective fluid and the additive was the solution. I didn't know they were trying it on 06s with problems.

Members online

Back