Transmission cooler for 05 Sport

Xzonedude

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good place to get a replacement Transmission Fluid Cooler? I've Tried looking around and the only place I could actually find the right part was from ford themselves, but it was over $300 and I'm not even 100% sure that it is the right part.

It should be XR8Z-3F749-BA. $214 + shipping from FordPartsGiant.
It's a combination transmission cooler and power steering cooler. One alternative is used parts from ebay or your local junkyard. Looks like Dorman makes one for $150, but I'd pay the $65 more for the real thing rather than go with Dorman.
What happened to yours?

Used for $60 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-LINCOL...ash=item1c5b1dd225:g:OE4AAOSwwbdWHqx6&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the help. I have one question though, do you know if the part on FordPartsGiant is only the transmission cooler or if it is the power-steering cooler and transmission cooler assembly with the mounting brackets?

As for what is wrong with my cooler it is leaking slightly. And I decided just to replace it since I'm going to to change out the transmission because it has been having all sorts of problems with shifting.

AFAIK, it's the whole assembly - transmission cooler, power steering cooler, and brackets.

Shifting issues are usually (not always) due to the solenoid assembly or the PCM.

As joe says, I can attest that the shifting doesnt always need full replacement. You can look back at my early threads and find what I went through. Worst problem is finding a reliable shop to believe in. Of course if your DIY then I would suggest making sure you have rebuilt the one you are putting in, not just a used swap. Seems like most all develop some issue at some point. Of course, there is also the mentioned PCM issue.

I'm planning on DYI rebuilding the transmission that I am swapping into the car. (I would prefer to take it to a shop but all the places I have gone to so far have given unreasonable quotes of anywhere from $2300-$2800 for a rebuild or $3500-$4500 for them to replace it). I'm doing a full replacement because it seems to be having problems that caused by the solenoid and/or PCM. Also, when I looked at the fluid in the transmission a while back the fluid looked like the transmission overheated but there was also some tiny metal speckles in the fluid. As for the overheating I think I might have unintentionally caused that by towing it about 35 miles on a highway on a 2-wheel tow dolly with the rear wheels on the ground. I was also thinking the overheating could've been caused partially by a clogged cooler.

... As for the overheating I think I might have unintentionally caused that by towing it about 35 miles on a highway on a 2-wheel tow dolly with the rear wheels on the ground. I was also thinking the overheating could've been caused partially by a clogged cooler.

Yes, you did destroy it by towing it. It has nothing to do with the cooler. The pump is turned by the engine only. When you towed with the wheels down, that rotated a lot of parts in the transmission, but there was no pump running to pump fluid around to lubricate and cool the transmission. There's even a warning about it in the owner's manual. This is just something that you cannot do.

Members online

Back