Trans slip on initial acceleration

hite337

Hite Performance
Reaction score
I have been having an intermittent issue with my transmission in my 02 LSE (159k). Occasionally when I leave work after the car has sat for 8-9 hours, I pull out of my spot and drive forward 50 yards or so and stop to look for traffic. As I'm slowing down I can feel the transmission disengage. If I were to just hit the gas the engine will rev up and the trans will engage at high RPMs and scratch the tires, almost like a neutral drop. If I lightly hit the gas I can feel the transmission engage and then I can drive normal. It doesn't do it again after that. There is also a slight whinning/whirring sound that changes with RPM's. This is all the time and I havent traced it to the tranny but since it changes with RPM's I'm guessing it's the tranny. I have searched 8 pages of tranny issues and haven't read of anyone else having this issue. Also no 'E' on the dash, no check tranny msg.

My question is this....Does this sound like a torque converter issue, transmission issue, maybe low tranny fluid (no leaks)???

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to waste the $ on a flush if I possibly need a new transmission.

First things first - check your fluid. Could easily just be low. If you haven't changed the fluid, then that needs to happen. MercV is much better than MercIII, but doesn't last forever. 100k miles would be my personal absolute max.

Your test also works as a tranny-auto-destruct. Probably shouldn't do that again until you do some investigation into the tranny.

Thanks, I am going to check the fluid level tonite and if it's low I will fill it up to see if the problem is still there. I dont want to buy a transmission but if I have to I will put a TCI 3000 stall torque converter in while I have it out. Probly a good time to put high flow cats on as well. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Members online

Back