Trans mods?

54MarkWagon

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite there yet but I would like to be able to lock the trans in individual gears for use in Auto Cross events. Is there a shift kit that would facilitate that?

you can already hold 1st and 2nd in some stock cars.
my 93 will hold gears, my 96 upshifts on the limiter regardless.
do you want to hold 3rd as well?

Ist and 2nd gears would probably be OK for the autocross course. I doubt that it would ever see 3rd gear, even with 3.73 gears. I just don't want to feather off the throttle and have it up shift then kick back down again on exit. This is/was a '97 Base for what that's worth. I'm certainly not a hard core racer, just might like to see what it will do once I get it together.

A be controls valve body recalibration kit will help a ton with faster up shifts and down shifts.
As Chris said I too can hold my car in 1 and 2 if I want its a 97

i dont know anything about the BE kit, but my JMOD and tune did wonders for the trans speed and shift schedule.

I have a 1996 MK V8 LSC and the trans does not work in forward - only reverse. Can I add a heavy gear oil to get forward to work or do I need to rebuild the tranny. n I hope to sell the car. Thanks Iggy

Fix it right then sell it. Best thing to do is swap a know good transmission from a junkyard in. Go to www.car-part.com , should be able to find one around $250.

Please don't do a temporary fix, you wouldn't want to buy a car and then have the trans go out right away would you?

FWIW, the Baumann (BE Controls) kit is very similar to the J-mod. It has you drill a few holes to a larger size depending on your desired firmness level and also comes with the springs if I remember correctly. I did it back in 2005 or 2006, so I can't remember much of the specifics. The instructions were pretty straight-forward and were easy to follow.

I've been very happy with it. I set it to "level 5" and it's really firm when you get on the throttle and will normally chirp the tires on anything over about 1/2 throttle. Light throttle is still pretty firm, but I don't mind it at all. My wife hates it, but she never drives it, so it's ok. lol.

Members online

No members online now.
Back