tranny went out will there be codes in ECU?

turn_on68

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
tranny went out will there be codes in ECU? My tranny just up and quit shifting, no warning. I still have reverse. I barely got it home and into my driveway. Last 98 Mark I was getting signals if was going bad. This one was working fine up until it wouldn't shift,then I took out OF and it worked some to get me home. Now in the driveway I tried reverse and it worked great but I almost couldn't get car back up into driveway. I checked fluid it's all okay.

If it is electronic like a shift solenoid, tcc, oss, then there can be codes set, but for most mechanical issues not monitored by an electronic sensor it won't set a code. Also not all code readers will read them. My TFT issue sets the check transmission text in the message center, no CEL, and only my XCalII seems to read them, not my elm327 hardware or bluetooth, or 10 dollar scanner from harbor freight.

If it is electronic like a shift solenoid, tcc, oss, then there can be codes set, but for most mechanical issues not monitored by an electronic sensor it won't set a code. Also not all code readers will read them. My TFT issue sets the check transmission text in the message center, no CEL, and only my XCalII seems to read them, not my elm327 hardware or bluetooth, or 10 dollar scanner from harbor freight.

So it could be a shift solenoid that could cause these no forward gear problems? Is it located within the tranny or outside the tranny?

I have an INNOVA code reader. I only got an EGR reading and a O2 sensor I think. Would the Tranny stuff if there were codes for it be read there with th other DTC codes?

Limp mode/mechanical only is reverse and second, if you only have reverse then it is likely mechanical, like the forward clutch is toast.

i agree, could be forward clutch.

check your fluid. is it burnt? dark? stink? etc.

No burnt fluid. Fluid level is good. My tranny guy says there is no patching these. They have electronic switches. He now charges $1800 to go thru and repair the whole tranny including torque converter. On my former 98 like in 05 or 06 he charged $1450. He doesn't want to put in a used one because if if is broken or breaks he doesn't want to be held responsible for it. There use to be over-the-counter at Chevrolet for a factory reconditioned trans for like $1000 to maybe $1300. Did Ford ever do that?

You could probably save almost 800 if you pulled the transmission yourself.
His price with labor isn't to bad.

Can this be done in driveway or are you going to need a lift?
I found a place in Florida who offers a rebuilt with a 2 year 24000 mile warranty for about $1200 $189 delivery charge.

Why would you buy it from Florida, when you have a dependable shop nearby. Who is going to re-install it if it fails. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Since I had no malfunctions of any kind to indicate the trans was failing is there a possibility it is a solenoid or is there a fuse to check?

Since I had no malfunctions of any kind to indicate the trans was failing is there a possibility it is a solenoid or is there a fuse to check?

I would think it would be the opposite. If it were an electronic malfunction I would think you'd get a code

Members online

Back