tranny fluid leak.

Modular97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
ok peeps i rebuilt my tranny about a year ago and soon after it had a leak and i had to take it back for them to check it out. They tightened the screws on the pan and didnt leak again until a few days ago when I noticed smoke coming out from the around the car. I lifted the car and tightened the screws again and inspected around the tranny for leaks, I noticed that the screws are wet could it be that the gasket they reused was the original and should be replaced?

The gasket us meant to be reused but if improperly torqued it may have been damaged.
Or possible that it was damaged when pulled apart

its not bad at all marvin.... It should be an hour labor at the very very most

tomorrow im taking the car to my mechanic im not getting under there with this weather....it doenst stop raining in miami.

took the car to get the tranny leak fixed......hopefully its not something serious like the main seal......pray for me peeps.

warranty expired man.....so im stuck.....thats why i didnt take it where i got the tranny rebuilt i took it to my family mechanic.

ok news is in....its not leaking from the dipstick its leaking by the oil pan and its leaking from somwhere in the top....my mechanic says that it looks like the tranny overheated...what the hell? also says that where i got the tranny rebuilt they used red silicone and that they werent supposed to use that type of silicone....can somebody chime in on this please?

since we're on subject, what is the best way to remove the seal on the front of the trans?

you mean the main seal....well you have to bring down the tranny to replace that seal....most likely what ill end up having to do....but my mechanic doesnt want to get into it...so ill have to take it to a tranny shop to get done.

you mean the main seal....well you have to bring down the tranny to replace that seal....most likely what ill end up having to do....but my mechanic doesnt want to get into it...so ill have to take it to a tranny shop to get done.

I'm about to put a new trans in my car, I have the new one sitting on a pallet in my garage. I'm just trying to find the best way to safely pry this thing out and get the new one in that I picked up from Ford.

Also, should I put anything on the new seal?

I remember putting in the front and rear seal in the 98 trans that I installed in the BOB 94 I had. Seems like I used a screwdriver to pry out the old ones but whatever I done, it wasn't hard or I'd remember exactly how I did remove them. I do remember using a rubber mallet to tap in the new ones. It was a very hard rubber but it worked and didn't leak a drop. I do know for a fact that I did not use any special tools to remove the rear or front seal when I swapped them. I bought my seals from Ford in mid 2009 and don't remember the cost but they weren't high dollar or anything. Change that dipstick tube o-ring too while you're at it. I have about 25 of them. Couldn't just buy one. As for the seals, keep in mind that if it leaks again, it has to be pulled down again so, get Ford seals the first time. No off brand stuff when it comes to those.

....my mechanic says that it looks like the tranny overheated...what the hell? also says that where i got the tranny rebuilt they used red silicone and that they werent supposed to use that type of silicone....can somebody chime in on this please?
what's the story with this red silicone? where's it go, why shouldn't it be used?

i dont know exactly whats up with the silicone.....i do know that the pan gasket was crap it was broken. It hasnt leaked yet...i drove it to work with no problems...no smoke..... i still have to drive it for a longer period of time to see how it goes.

what's the story with this red silicone? where's it go, why shouldn't it be used?

Silicone should not be used on automatic trans. As you know it always squishes inside trans when you put pan on. Those little pieces can break free inside trans and get into the valve body or any and all little valves and stop them from working. If you ever need to kinda "glue" gasket to pan you use grease.

ah, ok...they used it on the pan gask, that sounds like some shade-tree :q

took it down to the keys yesterday to mile marker 50 and back and no smoke....no more tranny leak thank god.

Members online

Back