Traction Control Check Light??????

h2osho

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well two months ago my transmission freezes up. I get it replaced. (local good mechanic). When I get my car back I have a flashing "check engine light" and my cruise control works for only about 10 minutes then quits.

The local Ford shop says that the flashing light is a Traction Control Module and cannot be turnned off, it has to be replaced in order to STOP the blinking. And that the Cruise Control must be "tied" into the module somehow.

Well the module is $700!!!!!!

When I dropped off my car there was NO flashing light to indicate a Tracation Control issue AND my cruise worked perfectly.

The shop claims that transmission is NOT tied into the traction control. I pick my car up from Ford "royally p*ssed off" because I'm NOT paying $700 for module that WORKED when I dropped off the car.

The mechanic had accidentally cut into a harness and had to have the car an extra 2 days, but claims that none of the wires were tied to the traction control.

I drop off my car to have the transmission replaced. They replace it and it works fine....BUT now I have a $700 flashing light that wont go off and NO cruise!!!

What do I do and what grounds do I have to stand on? My traction control DOES work, but the flashing light will NOT go off until the $700 module is replaced.

traclight1.jpg

sounds like the "local good mechanic" isn't a good mechanic.

I would want to know two things....just exactly what codes are being thrown to trigger the light, and most important...what the hell wires did he cut????? And how did he repair them? You can't just put some of these incredibly sensitive and sophisticated circuits back together with butt connectors. I wouldn't bet on you needing a module just yet. Further work is needed by a COMPETENT shop.

Well the "shop" said he didn't have the new Ford module to use his scantool on my car. So he agreed to have the Ford dealership attempt the fix at his own cost.

Ford said this. "the flashing light cannot be turned off because we cannot communicate with the module in order to 'turn it off'". So the ONLY way the blinking TC light will stop is IF the $700 module is replaced.

Now mind you my TC works and if I takes it off with the switch...it goes off. BUT the light still blinks. Fine, maybe pull out the dash and pull the light or cover up the panel. NOPE, because my CRUISE still does not work and they both think that it's tied into the TC module somehow.

When I dropped of the car the light was NOT on AND I had cruise control. The shop says they are NOT liable. Well I'm sure as hell not liable...I didn't mistakenly cut any harnesses or do something wrong.

Wouldn't they have some insurance or something that can pay for the new module incase they "mess" something up?

I still owe the shop $400 for repair but have NOT paid it until I get my car back in the SAME condition I left it!!!!!!!

by any chance lets say the problem is the module ( witch i think its not ) have you tried getting the module on EBAY or go to a junk yard to see if there is a old LS that you can CAREFULLY remove it and put in you car - that will be alot cheaper.

i would think the ford dealer should be able to tell you if it's related to the other shop's repair. you have all the leverage you need since you didn't pay them

Members online

No members online now.
Back