town car vs mustang

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my brother for school and was heading back. I stopped at a red light when I saw this blue mustang pull up next to me. I looked over, a saw a kid maybe in his 16-17yrs. Now I always like to accelerate but not over the top. I guess he got the Idea to race with me. When we got another light, He punched in his gas pedal and I did the same. He got a 1 car lead on me and at about 60, he was 2 cars ahead of me. We were even till about 75 when He stopped. I think My town car kept up with him pretty good. I have no performance upgrades. My car does 0-60mph around 7.9 to 8.2 sec. His was a 2000 to 2002 mustang GT manual. I have a 2002 town car signature series. Now if I was driving my mark 8 It might had been a different story.

I just wanted know if my car did ok because That was my first race.

2000-2002 Mustang GTs are below 6 seconds 0-60. They should eat a town car for breakfast. I know I have a Modded Mark VIII and it is nowhere near my dad's stock 01 GT. Maybe this guy missed a shift or something, it shouldn't have been close at all.

I'm guessing it was a V-6, a 5spd v-6 is capable of low 15 second times and the race would have been about as you described. A GT with a 5spd even with a bad driver would have eaten your lunch.

I am sure that it was a GT because I saw the GT sign on the Back and on the side unless he got it of from an other GT.

804072_34_full.jpg

It's very possible that the GT badge is fake. I have seen 4 banger foxes around here with 5.0 badges.

mark0101 said:
I am sure that it was a GT because I saw the GT sign on the Back and on the side unless he got it of from an other GT.

The front driver's side wheel on your VIII is on the wrong side of the car. :F

No offense but theres no way a town car would keep up with a mustang gt at wot. It was either a v6 or the driver was just messing with you. The 0-60 time is really closer to 9 seconds. Now if you had north* under the hood, it would be a different story alltogether. :D

I already tested my car from 0-60 and the best I have got was a 7.9 but I wouldn't say that it ran that when I raced him because I had three person sitting in the car. From you guys maybe it was a v6 that had a badge of the gt.

And an other thing how reliable are the newer deville north star because I heard the eat oil.

thank you NYC LSC for the tire, I had one other guy said the same thing to me but I didn't get the first time.

Hmm... I'm just going by numbers I saw posted on reviews of the town car. (which I considered buying, but the performance numbers turned me away from it right away) Consumer guide posts 0-60 at 9.5 for the 2005 town car, giving it a 4 out of 10 for performance. Auto channel rates a 2001 town car at 10.5 seconds 0-60 and 17 sec @ 83.5mph in the 1/4 mile. These are basically consistant results for this car, and that's why I said it was closer to 9 (which is still generous as you can see). Lincoln should really give this car more power, why couldn't they use the continental engine rated at 275hp? Mix that with rear wheel drive and you got an awesome car, and would be a much better competitor to the deville. By the way, you're right about the oil consumption in the north*, but from my experience, you have to keep the engine clean with some good wide open driving (this engine really hates a slow driver) and an occasional fuel system cleaner, it's not a problem if you do. I'm not sure how the two compare in reliability.

caddy dhs said:
No offense but theres no way a town car would keep up with a mustang gt at wot. It was either a v6 or the driver was just messing with you. The 0-60 time is really closer to 9 seconds. Now if you had north* under the hood, it would be a different story alltogether. :D

Ah I see a little Caddy nudge there! :Beer Is he calling you out LOL.

the 2005 lincoln town car added about 400 hundred pounds more to its weight and it can do 9.5 seconds from what you have tolded me and it only gained 4 hp from 235 to 239. I seriously dought that it will go 0-60 in 10.5 sec but if you are talking about the L version than I would say it was 10.5 sec

Don't just read what the Consumer guide says , go try it out and you will see the power.

There is no way a Town Car will hang with a V6 Mustang either unless it was a 98 or lower.I raced my friends 99 GT from a dig with my STS and he beat me from 0-65mph then i inched up beside him at that point we was going about 75mph but the speed limit was 35 on that street so i shut it down .I honestly think a Cadillac deville with a 4.9L eng. can beat any town car

I'm not sure what the specs are for the 4.9, but I think it's somewhere around 200hp 275lbs/ft. I think it was fairly light too, so it would be pretty even with a town car. As for the north*, I'm not sure if my 2000 dhs can take a mustang gt, I'll have to try it if I ever see one. Most mustangs I see are the v6 though. There arent many chances to race here in the city, I'm still waiting to stop next to a town car at the lights. :steering

caddy dhs said:
I'm not sure what the specs are for the 4.9, but I think it's somewhere around 200hp 275lbs/ft. I think it was fairly light too, so it would be pretty even with a town car. As for the north*, I'm not sure if my 2000 dhs can take a mustang gt, I'll have to try it if I ever see one. Most mustangs I see are the v6 though. There arent many chances to race here in the city, I'm still waiting to stop next to a town car at the lights. :steering

I would want to race with a deville but when ever i pull up to one, there is always a old man sitting and so I just go. I would like to see some younger people in a deville and a town car

Heh, you think the new ones are slow, get behind the wheel of an 80s TC. 160 hp with the SEFI 5.0 and dual exhaust. You can just about read War and Peace before it finishes the quarter mile.

Honestly I feel all Ford cars are way under the level that the GM cars are.I mean with the cobra u have the vette ,withe tie gt u have the gto,and with all lincolns u have cadillac products which alway last a lot longer by the way

I think your mistaken by saying that Cadillac's last longer than Lincolns.

thamarkman said:
I think your mistaken by saying that Cadillac's last longer than Lincolns.
seriously! :I
btw what about the ford GT40

they may run longer but most the time i see a lincoln with high mileage they have blown airbags and sounds werd.I think that the 4.9 breaks down often tho

Well the 4.9 is one of the most reliable engines to come from cadillac from what I heard. The north* unfortunetely does have some reliability problems with headgaskets. I have read some good horror stories about them. I don't have any information about the reliability of lincoln engines, so I don't have anything to compare, the only thing I heard of was that the airbags fail eventually and it's an expensive repair. Theres also so many variables involved in owning a car that we can't rreally generalize which one will last longer.

personally i think the N* is the best performaning engine and it is as smooth as the licoln motors

caddy dhs said:
Well the 4.9 is one of the most reliable engines to come from cadillac from what I heard. The north* unfortunetely does have some reliability problems with headgaskets. I have read some good horror stories about them. I don't have any information about the reliability of lincoln engines, so I don't have anything to compare, the only thing I heard of was that the airbags fail eventually and it's an expensive repair. Theres also so many variables involved in owning a car that we can't rreally generalize which one will last longer.
Lincoln engines are reliable. I would say the town car is the most reliable out of all my cars because it has not given me even one single problem.(I have 47000 miles on it)even though I drive a little hard on my town car because when you touch the gas pedal, It just flys. I have seen couple town cars for sale on ebay with over 300,000 miles.

I had a 88 cadillac deville which died at 240,000 mile and I gave it to the army salvation.I don't know but the engine in the 88 cadillac felt way stronger than the new ones. No matter what car you have, If you take care of it will last you a very long time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back