Timing - Finding TDC - Upper Tensioner No Tool Proceedure.

Brian-LS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 LS V8 3.9 101K Miles Timing - Finding TDC

Very insightful Forum, I am so glad to have this resource out here, thank you for participating. Ok, I am replacing the secondary tensioner RH passenger side now, and will inspect what I can of the valve train to determine the condition. I will eventually, sooner rather than later, remove the timing cover and replace everything. Just like I have read on some of the threads here, lots of great pics and vids.

I have searched, and cannot find out how one can rotate the crank to locate TDC. Aware of the tools for the cps key hole, and will place the key in there once found. Can one just turn the engine over by turning the upper crank sprocket?

Which direction does the crank turn? Clockwise, or counter?

Once TDC is found, could one assume that if the cam flats line up that the sprocket has not jumped?

I have a couple follow up questions later. However, I don't want to beat a dead horse deader, so if there is a thread I can review, shoot me a link and I will review it.

I appreciate your help and time.

Thank you,

Brian

Last edited:
I would put a wrench on the bolt of the crankshaft damper pulley to turn the crankshaft by hand. Turn it clockwise only. Note that you may have to go one more full turn after the marks line up to hit top dead center. (The flat on the intake cam should be straight across at TDC.)

Joegr,

Thank you your response. You have confirmed my suspicions. I will proceed with locating TDC, and document this process, along with replacement of both upper tensioners and chains with master link without using specialty tools.

To be continued.

Brian, I did get your PM, sorry I was out on the road, just got home last night.

Joe has got you covered.

GLWR

Members online

No members online now.
Back