Ticking Noise

itsnotmydaddys

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently started hearing this ticking noise from the engine. you can really hear it when you like in the drive through or driving along a curb, i had this same noise in my explorer. ive changed the oil regularly. i have no clue what this could be. its kind of quiet at idle but when it starts going the sound increases with speed. what is this noise and has anyone had it b4.

itsnotmydaddys said:
I recently started hearing this ticking noise from the engine. you can really hear it when you like in the drive through or driving along a curb, i had this same noise in my explorer. ive changed the oil regularly. i have no clue what this could be. its kind of quiet at idle but when it starts going the sound increases with speed. what is this noise and has anyone had it b4.
OH MY GOD, RUN! IT'S GONNA BLOW! :)
(One of my instructors in NetWare training used that line in his job in tech support for what was then NationsBank. He was in Dallas; she was in New Jersey. The next thing he heard was the handest hitting the table and running footsteps. Did I mention that she was one of the bank's senior VPs? Fortunately for him, she had a sense of humor...) :)

I heard this ticking once in my '99 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC. I had just changed the oil, and had gotten the oil filter almost, but not quite, completely screwed onto the stud; I started it to move it to level ground to check the oil level, only to have it spray a boatload of new Mobil1 oil into my otherwise relatively clean engine compartment. :( :slam

It sounded exactly like tappet/lifter clatter in a pushrod angine with hydraulic lifters and underfilled oil; once I got the filter tightened up and the oil topped off again, the sound went away. :wrench

I've also noticed this "ticking" sound when pullin up at the atm and having the engine sound reflected back to me. I was wondering what it was. I have also changed my own oil, but I don't think that changing the oil will/would cause this "ticking" sound.. I was thinking more along the lines of the fan or the fan belt.. What you think?

I have a 2000 V8 sport, and I too hear the dreaded ticking; and just like everyone describes it, it is most evident when I am somewhere where engine sound reflects (i.e. drivethrough). I use mobil 1030 synthetic, and a fram oil filter. I also change my own oil. Maybe not using a motorcraft oil filter causes the sound. I read in the manual I think that a ticking noise may occur if you use something other than motorcraft. What filters/type of oil do you guys use?

Diggin up this old thread because I have been having the same problem...Thought it was the exhaust manifold gaskets but the dealership said nope,they are perfectly fine...he said maybe an injector or something...anyone else have any fixes?

i have a 2000ls8 as well and notice the blasted ticking in drive thrus all the time...drives me nuts...id love to know what it is

itsnotmydaddys said:
hey the FBI didnt hide you good anout man the mafia found you dont come any closer get out man LOL

I have had a ticking in my 92 cougar since I got it 100K ago, in 2001. I chalk it up to a flakey lifter. If I take engine off idle (even 100 rpm or less if my foot is steady enough), ticking goes away. Its more noticable in warm engine.

Yes, I have driven 100k with a lifter that ticks, cause I don't wanna tear half of car apart to pull front off the 3.8 to change the lifters and cam.

Dealer just called and said...Manifold gasket are fine,injectors seem fine, he thinks its lifters...He said it is going to be pretty expensive and some extensive work so I dont know what to do I think I might just leave it or get a 2nd opinion...but why would so many ppl with LS have the ticking problem...i dont get it...

i had the noise also in my v8 sport, it was a small exaust leak up front where it connects,,

tickin will come from cheap gas, or bad oil, or my problem was the leak,, was worse when cold, and when u revved it it got lil louder.

took it to where i bought it they fixed it, don't know how, just told me it was a tiny leak in exaust

itsnotmydaddys said:

I just took my 02 LS V8 Sport in for that exact same reason. I could hear the ticking only when the A/C compressor is on, turns out that the bearings in the compressor are shot at 21k miles?? Manufacture defect he said and it was all covered under warrenty. Listen to the ticking, if it is only on when you have the a/c running, if so you might have a bad compressor like me.

Jeremiah

I think I have also heard this ticking, just got extended warranty(5 yr, 75,000mi) today so in a few days I'm going to the dealer and seeing about that and why the car sometimes shudders/shakes alittle.

Ticking from your engine either means your AC compressor is having a problem if your AC is on or if your AC is not on, I would suspect your exhaust manifolds for one simple reason. Your engine block is alumunum and your exhaust manifolds are steel. Different metals mean different cooling temperatures and when the two are pressed together like they are, you are more than likely going to have unevenness (on your exhaust manifold because steel is more susceptible to heat as is aluminum) between the two of them when the car hasn't reached operating temperature.

If I am correct in assuming you are hearing a ticking and not a pinging or knocking, than your best bet is your exhaust manifold. If you notice the sound disappear when driving for some time (allowing the engine to reach operating temperature), than I would suspect exhaust manifolds.......a fairly common problem from what I have encountered with these cars and others of similar design. Anything to worry about? I would assume not. My car makes the same noise, but aside from replacing my exhaust manifolds/gaskets, I will simply live with it for the few minutes in the morning that it occurs.

The dealer said it is not the exhaust and all they can think is lifters because thats all they can hear and has the right symptoms..I dont want to spend $1000+ to get the lifters replaced I think I might take it in for a 2nd opinion...It sounds just like an exhaust leak to me but they said not possible, they checked up and down...

Just some info. from an upset person

Some info. on the matter of the ticking sound. Just brought my car into the dealership for a few reasons. One, the loud ticking noise... it happens when i start the car and the sound gets lower after a few minutes. Second, the heater will not blow hot air and when you turn the temp. on hot the temp. gauge says the car is running hot. Third, the car is smelling like it is leaking oil, but there is nothing on the ground... but it sometimes smells under the hood. End result the dealership called and the warranty I have that is supposed to cover engine, transmission and powertrain... covers nothing!
Ticking - Exaust leak - right bank exaust manifold is cracked. $255.71

Heater and car running hot - The therm. and gaskets need to be changed, could be getting stuck and this could cause it to stop the heater from getting hot. $389.22

Oil smell - Oil leak- Right and left valve cover gaskets are leaking. $629.54

Total $1274.47 Dont buy a 2000 Lincoln LS !!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back